Trident Maple #2 Progression

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I purchased this Trident from Julian Adams in 2016. It's about 17" tall from the rim of the pot. Here's what it looked like in 2016 when I got it home.

t216.jpeg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the tree in 2018 during the growing season.

t218.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not much changed in 2020 except the canopy got a little wider.

t220.jpeg

A leafless shot from winter 2020.

t2202.jpeg

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
very nice tree, i like the gentle change of direction. i see a peaceful silhoutte and image.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lovely subtle tree. Removing the long root in the foreground seems like a good choice to me. The nebari seems less youthful this way, somehow.

Are you purposefully keeping the right side branches long? It seems to conflict with the leftward movement of the trunk to my eye

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lovely subtle tree. Removing the long root in the foreground seems like a good choice to me. The nebari seems less youthful this way, somehow.

Are you purposefully keeping the right side branches long? It seems to conflict with the leftward movement of the trunk to my eye
No, not really purposeful. The branching has just naturally gotten longer all around over the last few years. I was looking at the progression and thinking that it probably needs to be compacted again.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I snapped off a branch on the left side of this one yesterday while trying to wire it into a better position. And then snapped off another trying to compensate for that one. Those branches can be pretty brittle. It will leave a hole in the canopy next year but the tree should grow something new that I can work with. I see a few more areas that need to be cleaned up looking at this pic too.

20221107_125027.jpg

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
I snapped off a branch on the left side of this one yesterday while trying to wire it into a better position. And then snapped off another trying to compensate for that one. Those branches can be pretty brittle. It will leave a hole in the canopy next year but the tree should grow something new that I can work with. I see a few more areas that need to be cleaned up looking at this pic too.

View attachment 462112
Beautiful! Are you in Goochland? Looks like you have some awesome trees. I’m right in Powhatan, I would love to come see your trees sometime 👍

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey there. Yep. I'm just across the bridge in Maidens, near the boy scout camp. We should do that in the spring.

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey there. Yep. I'm just across the bridge in Maidens, near the boy scout camp. We should do that in the spring.
That would be great! I’m about 10 or so minutes from Maidens landing, right at 60 and 522. Thanks for the reply! 👍

Top Bottom