Trevor’s seed growing.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I figured I would post about my first attempt to grow trees from seed. I planted them on March 3rd 2024. I have around 100 Japanese Maples (4 verities- Arakawa, mikawa yatsubusa, Atropurpureum and green dissectum. I also planted some Trident Maple and some Black and Blue Spruce. Some of the maples had already started growing in my fridge so that’s a good sign. I just planted them in an Anderson flat and once they are ready I’ll transplant them. I got all but the Spruce seeds from Sheffields. I will update as things progress.

Attachments

• IMG_5654.jpeg
    IMG_5654.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5635.jpeg
    IMG_5635.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 37

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put the Anderson flat into a big Rubbermaid box and it fit perfectly. I plan to have them inside until it’s warm enough, and the container holds all the excess water. Once outside I can put a piece of glass on top and it will be a makeshift green house.

Attachments

• IMG_5657.jpeg
    IMG_5657.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 31

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have around 100 Japanese Maples (4 verities- Arakawa, mikawa yatsubusa, Atropurpureum and green dissectum.
The bad news is that any Japanese maple grown from seed is just a Japanese maple.
Cultivars are not stable so you're likely to get a range of different characteristics in the seedlings that germinate. There are so many possible gene combinations in any seedling. Even if some of the seedlings look superficially like the parent variety there will be genetic differences you can't see like height, disease resistance, hardiness to cold or heat, etc that will make them all different from the parent.
Cultivars can only be cloned (graft, cutting, layer, tissue culture) to maintain 100% genetic sameness. No seedling can be the same as any existing cultivar.
The industry already struggles with at least 8 different clones all being sold as 'Atropurpureum' We don't need more different clones masquerading as named cultivars so please don't label or pass any of your seedlings on under the parent name.

To put a more positive slant on it, each and every seedling you grow will be an entirely new and unique cultivar and you get to name them. Just don't use any existing names.
There's nothing wrong with growing see from named cultivars. I enjoy watching the range of different characteristics develop as the seedlings grow and most will be great for bonsai.
Good luck with the seedlings.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's nothing wrong with growing see from named cultivars. I enjoy watching the range of different characteristics develop as the seedlings grow and most will be great for bonsai.
And on top of that.. You might stumble upon a combination of genetic traits that make an individual worthy of its own name & further clonal propagation!

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The bad news is that any Japanese maple grown from seed is just a Japanese maple.
Cultivars are not stable so you're likely to get a range of different characteristics in the seedlings that germinate. There are so many possible gene combinations in any seedling. Even if some of the seedlings look superficially like the parent variety there will be genetic differences you can't see like height, disease resistance, hardiness to cold or heat, etc that will make them all different from the parent.
Cultivars can only be cloned (graft, cutting, layer, tissue culture) to maintain 100% genetic sameness. No seedling can be the same as any existing cultivar.
The industry already struggles with at least 8 different clones all being sold as 'Atropurpureum' We don't need more different clones masquerading as named cultivars so please don't label or pass any of your seedlings on under the parent name.

To put a more positive slant on it, each and every seedling you grow will be an entirely new and unique cultivar and you get to name them. Just don't use any existing names.
Good luck with the seedlings.

Yes I am very aware of how Japanes Maples work, but that is a good reminder for those that don’t know. I just have the cultivars separate so I can learn more about the genetic variation.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And on top of that.. You might stumble upon a combination of genetic traits that make an individual worthy of its own name & further clonal propagation!

That is the ultimate dream I suppose. It’s very exciting to have the possibility of finding something amazing, or more likely just standard JM. It’s like being in Las Vegas without the indoor smoking and people ruining their lives.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s very exciting to have the possibility of finding something amazing
I did ;)
I am talking to one of the biggest growers of Japanese Maples in the Netherlands, as I have a variety which according to them is not possible. (Laceleaf Arakawa cross)

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did ;)
I am talking to one of the biggest growers of Japanese Maples in the Netherlands, as I have a variety which according to them is not possible. (Laceleaf Arakawa cross)

That is amazing! Have you thought about what you might name it? I imagine you get to decide on its name?

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After 5 days there is a lot of action. I’m glad I didn’t wait to plant them, because they were all ready. I just followed the instruction from sheffields.

Attachments

• IMG_5663.png
    IMG_5663.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5661.jpeg
    IMG_5661.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 26

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All of the Japanese Maples have turned red. I’m thinking it’s a fungal infection, but if anyone knows please let me know.
IMG_6059.jpeg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have grown a lot of Japanese Maple seedlings, though I don't sprout them, I collect them from under and around big maples. I have a few sites that produce excellent seedlings. I do have two, out of twelve seeds, from a Katsura that are on their third season and a flat of Douglas maples I set out this spring.
The variation is just incredible and unstable. It's not uncommon for seedlings to change colors two or three times in the first years of growth before they finally settle on a consistent color.
Of the hundreds of seedlings I've grown out, I have two trees that I think are unique enough to be named and propagated. The rest are nice trees on their own accord, just too similar to other cultivars, but they make great forest plantings.
I don't like the look of your setup. Too confining, no air movement or light. The seedlings need to see the sun and feel the breeze to strengthen them. I use a tub like yours, but clear plastic. I put the lid down and set the seedlings on it, then cover with the tub overnight and remove it during the day.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have grown a lot of Japanese Maple seedlings, though I don't sprout them, I collect them from under and around big maples. I have a few sites that produce excellent seedlings. I do have two, out of twelve seeds, from a Katsura that are on their third season and a flat of Douglas maples I set out this spring.
The variation is just incredible and unstable. It's not uncommon for seedlings to change colors two or three times in the first years of growth before they finally settle on a consistent color.
Of the hundreds of seedlings I've grown out, I have two trees that I think are unique enough to be named and propagated. The rest are nice trees on their own accord, just too similar to other cultivars, but they make great forest plantings.
I don't like the look of your setup. Too confining, no air movement or light. The seedlings need to see the sun and feel the breeze to strengthen them. I use a tub like yours, but clear plastic. I put the lid down and set the seedlings on it, then cover with the tub overnight and remove it during the day.
Thanks for sharing it was very helpful. I have them outside now so I think they will be happy, but I’ll for sure do it a little differently in the future.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
All of the Japanese Maples have turned red. I’m thinking it’s a fungal infection, but if anyone knows please let me know.
View attachment 541346
Leaves look perfectly healthy to me. Pretty cool that they’ve turned red, I’ve also had a few red ones before and don’t think it’s anything to be alarmed by

Top Bottom