Tree identification please

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First is a pine. Needles and cone looks like JBP but the candles do not. Needles are sharp.
The second tree is a maple, trident or Amur I think that was collected late and might die but if it lives I’ll probably get it inexpensive
Thank you!12EDD1DF-4153-439F-ADDF-3385DC0CA6E0.jpegA5969D0D-C10D-45B8-98B6-7B63E3CC9681.jpeg53756181-2198-48DB-8ACA-5C44CD67A931.jpegBF0839F5-F395-4DFC-B49D-676082575BE5.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a Scotts Pine and Amur Maple.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stiff sharp needles likely Bosnian pine. Had one/almost positive. Maple no idea;).

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The pine could be ponderosa, by the 3 needles, the color of the branches in the close-up, and the tag hanging from it.

The maple appears to be trident maple Naruta Kaede. From Evergreen Gardenworks:
Acer buergerianum 'Naruta kaede' This cultivar of A. buergerianum is quite vigorous and grows faster than the species, but its main attraction is its leaves that have rolled edges. This gives the 3 lobed leaves 3 sharp points that are very unusual and distinctive. At first glance it appears the tree needs water, but upon closer inspection the unusual leaf shape is evident. Its vigor will yield large trunks very quickly. Cutting grown plants avoid the nasty looking grafts common with trident maple.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The pine could be ponderosa, by the 3 needles, the color of the branches in the close-up, and the tag hanging from it.

The maple appears to be trident maple Naruta Kaede. From Evergreen Gardenworks:
Acer buergerianum 'Naruta kaede' This cultivar of A. buergerianum is quite vigorous and grows faster than the species, but its main attraction is its leaves that have rolled edges. This gives the 3 lobed leaves 3 sharp points that are very unusual and distinctive. At first glance it appears the tree needs water, but upon closer inspection the unusual leaf shape is evident. Its vigor will yield large trunks very quickly. Cutting grown plants avoid the nasty looking grafts common with trident maple.
That’s interesting. The pine was in a group of ponderosa but looked nothing like them. Because of the small needle length. There was two of them with small needles and sharp needles. The pondys needles were softer and 2x length.

The trident I thought might be curly leaf variety and the owner said he collected 2 weeks ago and it was struggling. Looking at the naruta kaede I’m thinking it might be that.
Thanks for the info. I might try to get the trident.

Top Bottom