Too late to repot crab apple?

Josephflores960

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello I just received this crab apple tree, I didn’t realize it is kinda root bound when I received it but is it too late to repot? How would I go about this? Thank you.

I live in South Texas near the border BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 40

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pretty late for that tree, even though crabs are very tough, for zone 10.

The first thing to ask oneself when contemplating a repot is, “ Does the media percolate?”

Having lots of roots is not a consideration for repotting unless the rootball does not allow water to flow through. (Looks ok from the photos, but clear the screen areas, plunk the tree back in the pot and check.). btw from experience crabs push long roots very fast.

If the rootball does percolate leave the tree in the pot for the growing season. Repot next year.

If it’s just ok, take our up a handy dandy 3/16” long drill bit, even 1/4” might be ok for a crab, and your favorite drill. Then drill multiple 6-10 holes in the top and bottom of the rootball. Repot next year.

While the year goes by, gather together all the materials you’ll need for the repot next year.

cheers
DSD sends

Josephflores960

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pretty late for that tree, even though crabs are very tough, for zone 10.

The first thing to ask oneself when contemplating a repot is, “ Does the media percolate?”

Having lots of roots is not a consideration for repotting unless the rootball does not allow water to flow through. (Looks ok from the photos, but clear the screen areas, plunk the tree back in the pot and check.). btw from experience crabs push long roots very fast.

If the rootball does percolate leave the tree in the pot for the growing season. Repot next year.

If it’s just ok, take our up a handy dandy 3/16” long drill bit, even 1/4” might be ok for a crab, and your favorite drill. Then drill multiple 6-10 holes in the top and bottom of the rootball. Repot next year.

While the year goes by, gather together all the materials you’ll need for the repot next year.

cheers
DSD sends
Sounds great, it drains still well for now. Would slip potting be on option or no?

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Young crabs can be repotted anually but it's not the end of the world to go longer. DSDs advice is probably the safest course of action. I've done later repots on crabs and got away with it but I've also had one die from it. I used to stress if they didn't get root work and a repot regularly until I made myself let one go longer and it was totally fine. As long as you have percolation you're good.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep In a shallow bonsai pot.

A look at the media and Zone 10 were my decision points. Have had crabs in containers for 3 years with no harm. Third year grow slow a bit, but that’s just a jump start on ramification.

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sounds great, it drains still well for now. Would slip potting be on option or no?

One could do it, not sure what the tree would gain. Maybe a tad more more growth considering the timing.

One idea I had is to ground or maybe air layer the tree this year. That would get useful work towards later development done and put the crab ahead of lots of folks who never work crab roots and whose nebari always seems an afterthought. Perhaps up the ferts a bit and study up on this. Likely any time in April would be good.

Just an idea?

Cheers
DAD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's still way more space for water, air and roots in that soil. Remember that the first place roots head is down to the bottom and out to the sides of the pots so a few roots running around the bottom of the pot is NOT root bound. Root bound is when you can't see any soil structure, just roots all through the soil mass.
What would be the point of slip potting? What do you want from this tree?
My advice is to leave it as is this year and plan your strategy. Put down some short and long term goals for the tree then find out how to achieve those outcomes. Also slow down. Bonsai is a long term project so a year here or there won't make all that much difference in the scheme of things.

Josephflores960

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Young crabs can be repotted anually but it's not the end of the world to go longer. DSDs advice is probably the safest course of action. I've done later repots on crabs and got away with it but I've also had one die from it. I used to stress if they didn't get root work and a repot regularly until I made myself let one go longer and it was totally fine. As long as you have percolation you're good.
Thank you for the feedback!

Josephflores960

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
One could do it, not sure what the tree would gain. Maybe a tad more more growth considering the timing.

One idea I had is to ground or maybe air layer the tree this year. That would get useful work towards later development done and put the crab ahead of lots of folks who never work crab roots and whose nebari always seems an afterthought. Perhaps up the ferts a bit and study up on this. Likely any time in April would be good.

Just an idea?

Cheers
DAD sends
Thank you very much for the feedback will do.

Josephflores960

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There's still way more space for water, air and roots in that soil. Remember that the first place roots head is down to the bottom and out to the sides of the pots so a few roots running around the bottom of the pot is NOT root bound. Root bound is when you can't see any soil structure, just roots all through the soil mass.
What would be the point of slip potting? What do you want from this tree?
My advice is to leave it as is this year and plan your strategy. Put down some short and long term goals for the tree then find out how to achieve those outcomes. Also slow down. Bonsai is a long term project so a year here or there won't make all that much difference in the scheme of things.
Thank you for the feedback! I guess for now I’ll leave in the pot till next early spring.

Top Bottom