To bonsai pot or grow box

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i was shopping for a bonsai pot for this Chinese elm (yes, my Chinese elms still have leaves in February) and started to think it may instead need a chop and some years in a grow box first. It appears too tall and that thick straight top section could use more movement and taper. Before I whack off like 10 inches from the top, I thought I’d throw it out for some opinions. Advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7464.jpeg
    IMG_7464.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 142

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
From just the one picture I would cut the top off .
i would look at removing low branch on right side too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with @flor1 ; it is not far from a nice tree there in my opinion, with a little carving and wiring. You don’t really need a grow box for thickening, but then again, some time in an Anderson flat could really boost the health and development.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i was shopping for a bonsai pot for this Chinese elm (yes, my Chinese elms still have leaves in February) and started to think it may instead need a chop and some years in a grow box first. It appears too tall and that thick straight top section could use more movement and taper. Before I whack off like 10 inches from the top, I thought I’d throw it out for some opinions. Advice appreciated.
Hard to tell with one picture from one direction. But right lower branch i would keep, but i would fix the downward growth. Left first two branches seem too thick in comparison to the trunk, as well as the second branch on the left being in a less than ideal location. I would choose the branch that is relatively too thick and remove that.
I would leave the top and put the tree in the ground to use the top growth to assist with trunk thickening

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7469.jpeg
    IMG_7469.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7470.jpeg
    IMG_7470.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7471.jpeg
    IMG_7471.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7473.jpeg
    IMG_7473.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7474.jpeg
    IMG_7474.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7475.jpeg
    IMG_7475.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 78

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
and started to think it may instead need a chop and some years in a grow box first. It appears too tall and that thick straight top section could use more movement and taper. Before I whack off like 10 inches from the top, I thought I’d throw it out for some opinions. Advice appreciated.

If you are concerned about a tree in ground it will look 10 times worse in a pot.
Without even looking at pics I would say chop and grow again.
After checking the pics I say definitely chop and grow again.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you are concerned about a tree in ground it will look 10 times worse in a pot.
Without even looking at pics I would say chop and grow again.
After checking the pics I say definitely chop and grow again.
Thank you. Bonsai sometimes brings to mind Cheney’s ridiculous quote about “known knows, unknown knowns etc.”. There are things I think I know about developing trees, things I know I don’t yet understand and then there are things I don’t even know that I don’t know. To me, the tree is off to a nice start, needs a big cut and development of the canopy etc. it seems years away from a pot (and that’s 100% fine). To visitors of my garden, the tree looks “finished”, especially given that it’s in the bonsai pot I got it in. Against the backdrop of all my other grow boxes and sticks, I receive gasps when I tell people that I think about 1/3 of the trunk needs to come off. “Why would you ruin such a nice tree?” Is the common refrain. Just double checking that I am not ruing anything and in fact will be furthering its development.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
🌲🪓🌲🪓🌲🪓 Go for it

Top Bottom