This years second flush of growth

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the crab apple was yours what would you do with it?
I think the plan i have now is to just keep cutting back the new growth but i may leave it slightly longer than cutting it back to just 1 or 2 set of leaves go create a fuller capopy. Any thoughts on that?

Well I've no idea what its branches look like, so it's difficult to say. You'd want it to look attractive without leaves. Maybe look at the structure and do a very systematic pruning, like is taught on elms. Back to 1-2 internodes, develop 2 branchs, prune back again, 4 branchs etc etc.. get rid of any branchs growing down, or up, or in to another branch. 2+ branches coming from same place, bar branchs.. general clean up and looking at each branch for its significance.
Unless you've done all that already?

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I assume you boys aren't sold on Walters hedging then? Silhouette cut early June, again early august, and then choose branches and structure after leaf drop.
Yeah i think i will do something along those lines with the crab apple the first time i pruned it thats what i did so i will do that again but maybe leave slightly more than 2 leaves left on each branch

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah i think i will do something along those lines with the crab apple the first time i pruned it thats what i did so i will do that again but maybe leave slightly more than 2 leaves left on each branch

Have a few beers (maby six), grab your biggest pair of one handed sheers and give your self 10 secs to get the job done. :)

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Have a few beers (maby six), grab your biggest pair of one handed sheers and give your self 10 secs to get the job done. :)
Dont put suggestions like that in my head or else i will end up doing it when i get back later after being out on the town all evening lol
It will end up looking like a punk with a mohican

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dont put suggestions like that in my head or else i will end up doing it when i get back later after being out on the town all evening lol
It will end up looking like a punk with a mohican

Oh yes.. best done in the early hours. And creep up like the Yamadori Judder man :D

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was "color" supposed to be me? Lol, cos that sounded like a put on English accent.

I had known about the moon phases affecting everything as such but it was good to read again, just because something is once read, doesnt mean it is all remembered fully :).
To put it simply, whilst the moon is increasing in size (waxing), its gravity increases, stressing a tree, making them push growth. = Do not work on tree.
Whilst the moon is decreasing in size (waning), gravity is decreasing and relaxing a tree. = Work on trees, including repotting or digging up.
I had a good laugh at that, out loud even! I swear the autocorrect did that. It amazes me how stupid this smart phone can be. If I don't backspace it, it goes with what it thinks I might have meant, just like my wife.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I assume you boys aren't sold on Walters hedging then? Silhouette cut early June, again early august, and then choose branches and structure after leaf drop.

It's been suggested to me before.. I've not read up on it too much. I've learnt mostly by reading and it's the opposite of that technique so I'm not sure I'm comfortable trying that yet.
Maybe maybe.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Get the branch structure of the apple like this
apple-tree.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the crab apple was yours what would you do with it?
I think the plan i have now is to just keep cutting back the new growth but i may leave it slightly longer than cutting it back to just 1 or 2 set of leaves go create a fuller capopy. Any thoughts on that?

Do you want flowers?

Reaction score
I have mentioned that I trim by the moon. May I explain, you may find it interesting as well as useful.
It's all very cyclic, round and round she goes. Let's follow one cycle, moon and trees together, beginning at the new moon, which happens to be today here. So for the next two weeks the moon will be increasing in size and it's effect on this planet will increase. You can see this in the tides of the oceans. Is this news to anyone? What may be news is that this same effect is going on in every living thing on the earth as well. In trees, our main concern here, the ebb and flow is apparent in the cycle of flushes. The new shoots grow out as the moon waxes. The force of the moon's gravity pulls the water, the energy and life force of the plant up into the trunk and branches, generating a flush of new growth. If I'm trying to grow a tree out I don't want to mess with it during this phase of the cycle. If I want to curtail growth or weaken an over exuberant limb I would trim it now while the life force is in the limb. As the moon approaches it's zenith the effect becomes quite strong and can be a very stressful time for trees. If you watch you will notice that your containers will dry out much faster during this period. If you've got a weak one this is when she'll keelover on you. Trees will bear down with their roots and clench desperately to the ground. Not a good time to repot or collect. I try to leave them be at this full phase.
Growth pretty much comes to a standstill as the trees focus on staving off the intense force of the full moon. As it wanes the trees relax again and return to a normal growth. The life force of the tree recedes back down the trunk and into the roots. That's called gravity. Now I go through the tree, in this relaxed state when the flow is in remission. As I said, now is when I'm prepping the tree for the next cycle. In this relaxed phase is when you can most easily do your root work and collect trees.
I hope this makes sense to you all. I don't adhere religiously, but I do take it into consideration when deciding what and when I do certain things. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but if I can put it off to a better time I will.

I can hear Color going " bloody hell, this blokes all sixes and nines" LOLOLOL

hmmm... you see, tides, where the effect of the moon is easily observed, happen to be also big during the new moon. They are called spring tides (the largest) and happen around the new and full moon - when the forces of the moon and sun are in line. They are slightly larger during the full moon because both the moon and the sun are pulling from the same side. During the new moon, the moon and the sun are pulling from opposing directions. Anyways, the idea that gravity pull of the moon is lowest during the new moon is not correct. The only difference between between moon phases is whether its forces are aligned with those of the sun or not. The sun negates part of the influence of the moon during the quarter phases of the moon. The distance between the moon and earth would have to vary in order to its gravitational force to vary. However, this does not happen. sorry. :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Make sure to get pics and update in winter, if or when it loses it leaves. Gives people a lot more to go on and suggest.

Top Bottom