Thinking About Getting Into Maples- A Few Important Quesions

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I only know deciduous, this is my third year with Bonsai.
I’ve 1 Acer P, had for 2.5 years and only last week my first ever work on it due to health issues with the tree.

This advice may apply to all trees but with deciduous, understanding when they are in prime health for pruning, that will cause back budding and healing of wounds, seems crucial.
The trident is the easier species, it would seem, as I hear they are very strong. Bounce back from work and grow fast.
Elms are also amazing for beginners. They have taught me a lot and are my main species of tree, they are forgiving and satisfying to work on due to the quick turn over of growth.

But, as with all things, time yields best results.. takes time to produce quality.

I’m similarly scared to try conifers but to be honest I’ve no great interest in them yet.

Also I don’t believe it takes that long..
Obviously trunk and nebari dictates it all but if you buy one that’s on its way or has that, I see no reason why within 5-8 years you don’t have a mostly “finished” tree. You’ll continue to work on ramification and fine details for years later.

I wouldn’t start from seed and expect anything within a decade to work on.
Seeds and seedlings are side projects to not think of. Buy raw material that lends itself well to what you are aiming for or even just to practice and experiment on.

Yoppyx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm in Montreal, we have similar weather. I would be sure to know in advance where you plan to keep your trees during the winter before buying any maples at all.

Don't worry I bury all my trees come winter :)

Yoppyx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I only know deciduous, this is my third year with Bonsai.
I’ve 1 Acer P, had for 2.5 years and only last week my first ever work on it due to health issues with the tree.

This advice may apply to all trees but with deciduous, understanding when they are in prime health for pruning, that will cause back budding and healing of wounds, seems crucial.
The trident is the easier species, it would seem, as I hear they are very strong. Bounce back from work and grow fast.
Elms are also amazing for beginners. They have taught me a lot and are my main species of tree, they are forgiving and satisfying to work on due to the quick turn over of growth.

But, as with all things, time yields best results.. takes time to produce quality.

I’m similarly scared to try conifers but to be honest I’ve no great interest in them yet.

Also I don’t believe it takes that long..
Obviously trunk and nebari dictates it all but if you buy one that’s on its way or has that, I see no reason why within 5-8 years you don’t have a mostly “finished” tree. You’ll continue to work on ramification and fine details for years later.

I wouldn’t start from seed and expect anything within a decade to work on.
Seeds and seedlings are side projects to not think of. Buy raw material that lends itself well to what you are aiming for or even just to practice and experiment on.

Thanks for the advice! If your scared of conifers start with some Juni Chinensis, they are pretty easy and basic to start with. The main thing I learnt with Conifers so far in my 2 years, is that you have to be careful with how much stress you put them through. Take your time with them and give em a year for recovery if you have done both top and root work. Also doing too much top work is ill advised as well. I don't know much, but those are the things I've personally noticed.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the advice! If your scared of conifers start with some Juni Chinensis, they are pretty easy and basic to start with. The main thing I learnt with Conifers so far in my 2 years, is that you have to be careful with how much stress you put them through. Take your time with them and give em a year for recovery if you have done both top and root work. Also doing too much top work is ill advised as well. I don't know much, but those are the things I've personally noticed.

Yeah, deciduous aren’t too different.
Different species have different tolerances but there is always the “1 major insult a year” Bonsai rule. That gets broken a lot but when in doubt, still to it.

Check graham potter and Walter Pall for deciduous tree advice (among others).
For example:

Such a key video.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Recently I have been pining to get into Jap maple bonsai, but as a Bonsai beginner(2 years) I am still super spooked by deciduous trees. I have only really worked with conifers and I am now planning to change that. Before I dive into trying to train a Jap maple, I have a few questions that I'm hoping to find answers too.

Q1: Do I Need a Specific Dwarf Cultivar?
One of my biggest fears is starting off on the wrong foot, so I am wondering if in order to get a good looking komono sized Jap maple, is it essential to get a certain dwarf cultivar and if so what cultivar?

Q2: Seems like Maples take a hella long time. Is this true?
From looking around it seems like before you can even start training a Jap maple bonsai you need to go through 8 years of ground planted trunk chopping. If this is true should I get a bunch of sapling lined up in my garden so if I wait the 8 years out, I will have a high yield of trees?

Q3 Any Good J Maple Books?
Looking for book recommendations, found this online not sure if its a good read: https://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_with_Japanese_Maples_Care_how_to_bonsai_p/b1jmaples.htm

Those are my most pressing questions! Any general advice on a min max way to start working with this species would be appreciated. The sooner I can start the process for Jap maples correctly,the sooner I can have a delicious tree.

Thank you for your time!:)
Be careful throwing the word "jap" around. I know you didn't mean it in a derogatory way. But its actually considered a racist term.

D

Deleted member 21616

Be careful throwing the word "jap" around. I know you didn't mean it in a derogatory way. But its actually considered a racist term.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the term. It's short for Japanese. It's like referring to something or someone British as 'Brit'. Any negative connotation whatsoever would have to come from a combination of context, and perception.

This is the equivalent of a kindergarten students asking their teacher to stop referring to fairies as fairies in order to avoid offending certain groups of people.

Sorry for calling you out on this, but the point your making is ridiculous, especially in this context: a forum about a predominantly Japanese art form, in a sub-forum dedicated to Maple trees, where somebody is clearly referring to Japanese Maple trees.

Yoppyx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There's nothing inherently wrong with the term. It's short for Japanese. It's like referring to something or someone British as 'Brit'. Any negative connotation whatsoever would have to come from a combination of context, and perception.

This is the equivalent of a kindergarten students asking their teacher to stop referring to fairies as fairies in order to avoid offending certain groups of people.

Sorry for calling you out on this, but the point your making is ridiculous, especially in this context: a forum about a predominantly Japanese art form, in a sub-forum dedicated to Maple trees, where somebody is clearly referring to Japanese Maple trees.

Is it considered ill mannered to refer to Japanese maples as Jap maples on this forum? If so I can gladly change it to J.maple, I just didn't think that it would be an issue.

Yoppyx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

^^^^^^^ don't know how to multi tag but the message above is for you.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don’t worry about it buddy.
Some are more sensitive than others, if you try and please them all, you won’t be allowed to ever talk again.
Someone will always try to find a problem where none exist.

Japanese maple or Acer P, I use. If you have an Acer P that is.. or just Acer.
Whatever!

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6

I didn't mean to put sand in your vagina. It was just a suggestion because some Japanese dont think to highly of the word. Sorry I said anything. Not any where near the big deal you made it into.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't mean to put sand in your vagina. It was just a suggestion because some Japanese dont think to highly of the word. Sorry I said anything. Not any where near the big deal you made it into.
My sister was really offended when she read this. Possibly worse that the term you thought you were correcting.....

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
A guy that uses the term "Jap" maple gets told by a guy that tells him not to get "sand in his vagina" that his use of the term "Jap" is offensive?

Really?

Maybe the swamp could use a little cleaning here too....

Oh, I agree with you and the same thought crossed my mind when I read his vajayjay reply, your reply just made me chuckle. Besides, working midnights, I needed a little chuckle.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
My sister was really offended when she read this. Possibly worse that the term you thought you were correcting.....
I know you guys enjoy getting on here and doing this type of stuff cause I've seen it done on other threads. BUT I'm actually just here to learn . And yeah maybe the vagina comment was too much for adults to read. I should not of said that. But before this got blown out of proportion all I was doing was suggesting, not "correcting" this: "Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese". Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term very controversial or extremely offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap.

D

Deleted member 21616

@Yoppyx , I hope you're still thinking about getting into Maples. We aren't usually like this around here :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Recently I have been pining to get into Jap maple bonsai, but as a Bonsai beginner(2 years) I am still super spooked by deciduous trees. I have only really worked with conifers and I am now planning to change that. Before I dive into trying to train a Jap maple, I have a few questions that I'm hoping to find answers too.

Q1: Do I Need a Specific Dwarf Cultivar?
One of my biggest fears is starting off on the wrong foot, so I am wondering if in order to get a good looking komono sized Jap maple, is it essential to get a certain dwarf cultivar and if so what cultivar?

Q2: Seems like Maples take a hella long time. Is this true?
From looking around it seems like before you can even start training a Jap maple bonsai you need to go through 8 years of ground planted trunk chopping. If this is true should I get a bunch of sapling lined up in my garden so if I wait the 8 years out, I will have a high yield of trees?

Q3 Any Good J Maple Books?
Looking for book recommendations, found this online not sure if its a good read: https://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_with_Japanese_Maples_Care_how_to_bonsai_p/b1jmaples.htm

Those are my most pressing questions! Any general advice on a min max way to start working with this species would be appreciated. The sooner I can start the process for Jap maples correctly,the sooner I can have a delicious tree.

Thank you for your time!:)

My opinons/answers to your questions. Take it for what it's worth as I am about 6 years into bonsai.

1) No. Standard green japanese maple is a good way to start. I see you say you want a smaller tree, but realize smaller trees are also more difficult. Less room for mistakes and somewhat harder to make into a convincing bonsai. I'd suggest looking to make a larger tree.

2) Yes. Deciduous generally take longer to make into a nice tree. Conifers are quicker in this regard and in my opinion easier to care for. If you have the space, definitely plant out some trees for the future. I think everybody should be doing this for themselves if they can.

3)I've heard Peter Adams has a good book on J. Maples although I have not read it myself.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom