The Vance Wood Memorial Mugo 4yr. Contest

So should I pot up each year like I do with house plants? Go from the one gallon to the 3 gallon to the 5 gallon to the nice pot I bought Mr Mugo (pronounced close to Magoo) or should I toss him in the big pot like I was popping him into the ground?

So should I pot up each year like I do with house plants? Go from the one gallon to the 3 gallon to the 5 gallon to the nice pot I bought Mr Mugo (pronounced close to Magoo) or should I toss him in the big pot like I was popping him into the ground?

In the guide lays out Vance’s techniques (and that the contest is following) has all the information about when and how to repot.

In the guide lays out Vance’s techniques (and that the contest is following) has all the information about when and how to repot.
Well I’m reading & rereading it and maybe I’m just not getting it, but some of it seems contradictory. Don’t touch the roots, cut half the roots off. Repot every year but don’t disturb the roots.

Cut back this years growth every year, but don’t decandle.

• Planting it in a larger pot or pond basket will allow the trunk to thicken. Your goal is to get the trunk to thicken instead of the branches, which is the tendency for young mugos. I have found that planting in a basket will thicken the trunk better than ground planting.”
Maybe I’m wrong but I thought pond baskets were for the ground. It’s not like roots can’t escape them. Just makes it easier to lift whatever plant you have in it.

And I thought ground planting is what thickened trunks.

Don’t prune, limit your pruning to 60%.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but I’m new to bonsai and maybe it’s because I’m a linear thinker, I’m rather confused.

I’m just asking if I pot up each year as I said going from the 1 gallon to 3 gallon to 5 to the big one (15”) or do I put the mugo into a 1 gallon pond basket then just refresh the surrounding soil each year?

I honestly do not get the instructions.

You don’t want to repot a pine more than once every three years. Cut back this years growth means once the candles have become branches in mid to late July then you cut them off. Pond baskets are best for air pruning so above ground is where they work best.

The guide is confusing because it has several sections. Just find the part that describes what to do with nursery material for the first year of bonsai work. If you are still confused I can be more specific.

I plan on following Vance’s guide for my contest tree but the timing is throwing me for a loop, Vance lived in Michigan and I’m in NC, I’m curious how much sooner other southern folk are on their timelines opposed to Vance’s guidelines. I’m thinking my little pine must be at least a month ahead of Vance’s Michigan time line. Its candles are already extended fully and opened up all the way.

Back
Top Bottom