"The Secret Life of Plants" suggested reading

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fascinating read. I implore all of you nuts to give it a whirl, even more so for those who have dabble a bit in quantum mechanics.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Is this the book from the 70's and subsequent tv documentary?

Very little actual science in there that hasn't been discredited and no real quantum behaviour which is a shame because quantum biology is a fascinating field.

A thought provoking subject none the less.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this the book from the 70's and subsequent tv documentary?

Very little actual science in there that hasn't been discredited and no real quantum behaviour which is a shame because quantum biology is a fascinating field.

A thought provoking subject none the less.

While I'm inclined to agree with you, much of the premise of this book is focused on the mainstream science community (funded by corporations with special interests) extinguishing the flame of so called "pseudo" scientists because their work contradicts the status quo.

Case in point in recent times... Monsanto...and it's subsidiaries.

The simple fact is that all living things contain dihydrogen monoxide. Thus making them conscious.

Reaction score
The simple fact is that all living things contain dihydrogen monoxide. Thus making them conscious.

Sooo, containing water makes something conscious? That means the ocean is a living organism too. And so is the plastic bag I filled with water 5 minutes ago.
I do believe there's chi, and energy in plants, stones and nature is also plausible, but this sounds a bit like the palm reader on the chinatown corner would say.
Or is this a case of "every raccoon has a tail, but not every tail has a raccoon"?
Life and consciousness are of course intertwined, but what does the water part have to do with it?

Also, referring to water as dihydrogen monoxide is just fancying up shit to confuse less educated people.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sooo, containing water makes something conscious? That means the ocean is a living organism too. And so is the plastic bag I filled with water 5 minutes ago.
I do believe there's chi, and energy in plants, stones and nature is also plausible, but this sounds a bit like the palm reader on the chinatown corner would say.
Or is this a case of "every raccoon has a tail, but not every tail has a raccoon"?
Life and consciousness are of course intertwined, but what does the water part have to do with it?

Also, referring to water as dihydrogen monoxide is just fancying up shit to confuse less educated people.

Haha I love the last bit. I'm not usually prone to elitism but I suppose the moment got the best of me.

In response to the palm reader bit... dr. Masaru Emoto... Or... For further reading www.whatthebleep.com

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I'm inclined to agree with you, much of the premise of this book is focused on the mainstream science community (funded by corporations with special interests) extinguishing the flame of so called "pseudo" scientists because their work contradicts the status quo.

Case in point in recent times... Monsanto...and it's subsidiaries.

This reminds me of a joke my college classmates played while I was studying chemical engineering. They thought it would be funny to put warnings on the water fountains in the Civil Engineering building, simply because it was the nearest building, stating that the water fountains were contaminated with dihydrogen monoxide. To my surprise, about half of them, who were all required to take basic chemistry, were seemingly fooled. Or perhaps it had to do more with peer pressure.

Back to the subject, I read recently that scientists have experimentally proven quantum entanglement. Is this "conscious" or simply "connectedness"?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If trees know who I am and what I do,they must shit a brick when I get out of the truck and fire up the feller buncher! A couple hundred will be dieing. Do you think they wished they could run? Do trees hate me? When I cut giants down do the saplings cry for the loss of a parent?
Plants don't know crap!
My last turd was horrified when I flushed him.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This reminds me of a joke my college classmates played while I was studying chemical engineering. They thought it would be funny to put warnings on the water fountains in the Civil Engineering building, simply because it was the nearest building, stating that the water fountains were contaminated with dihydrogen monoxide. To my surprise, about half of them, who were all required to take basic chemistry, were seemingly fooled. Or perhaps it had to do more with peer pressure.

Back to the subject, I read recently that scientists have experimentally proven quantum entanglement. Is this "conscious" or simply "connectedness"?

Connectedness is a very loose term here. The very essence of particle physics tells us that sub-atomic particles, and in particular, electrons, posses conscious behavior due to the fact that they are actually wave functions. A particle is a wave and a wave is a particle scenario. One in the same.

If you truly are interested I highly suggest reading "what the bleep" or watching the movie. No bullshit it changed my outlook on almost everything.

Better yet... What the bleep, then Secret life of plants

Reactions: Geo
Top Bottom