The Nursery Chronicles: Lair of the Red Beech

Fonk

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello there!

The other day I saw a Juniperus at my usual nursery and on a quick glance, I thought it could be worth a try. I kept thinking about it so today I went to the nursery to check it out again, but I didn't like it that much... Trunk was thick but no lower branches and what seemed like and interesting nebari, in reality was a mess of roots and knots. Not pretty.

But I took a look around and came around a couple of trees that (in my totally unexperienced and novice opinion) are a bit interesting.

First of the two is this red Fagus Sylvatica (atropurpurea?) which has a trunk a bit thicker that I usually see on this nursery stock. It also seemed pretty healthy after the new growth (side note: is it absolutely crazy how fast Fagus extend and harden new growth or is it just that I'm too new at this?).

I'm usually bad at keeping track of my work, but I hope I can documentate this tree a bit in this thread.

I would like to repot this, but I think maybe my window is gone? I have the understanding that Beech trees should be repoted before the buds open. Am I mistaken? Or should I have to wait until next year?

Thanks for reading, and any comment, idea or critique is more than welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_233431.jpg
    IMG_20240514_233431.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hello there!

The other day I saw a Juniperus at my usual nursery and on a quick glance, I thought it could be worth a try. I kept thinking about it so today I went to the nursery to check it out again, but I didn't like it that much... Trunk was thick but no lower branches and what seemed like and interesting nebari, in reality was a mess of roots and knots. Not pretty.

But I took a look around and came around a couple of trees that (in my totally unexperienced and novice opinion) are a bit interesting.

First of the two is this red Fagus Sylvatica (atropurpurea?) which has a trunk a bit thicker that I usually see on this nursery stock. It also seemed pretty healthy after the new growth (side note: is it absolutely crazy how fast Fagus extend and harden new growth or is it just that I'm too new at this?).

I'm usually bad at keeping track of my work, but I hope I can documentate this tree a bit in this thread.

I would like to repot this, but I think maybe my window is gone? I have the understanding that Beech trees should be repoted before the buds open. Am I mistaken? Or should I have to wait until next year?

Thanks for reading, and any comment, idea or critique is more than welcome!

Beech trees tend to send out just one lightning-fast flush of growth per year, in some cases two.

Back
Top Bottom