The "NOT SHOHIN" maple forest

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So Sergio when will you prune and shape this forest? I have several going now that are of similar material and your answers have help me. Thanks, Peter

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So Sergio when will you prune and shape this forest? I have several going now that are of similar material and your answers have help me. Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter. I will prune back in June and then let it go until the end of the growing season. Perhaps cut back those shoots that are way too strong and this I may do at any point during the year to make sure certain areas do not get excessively thick and coarse. I usually like to do my wiring in late winter or very early spring. Here it's around late February to late March.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just seeing this thread for the first time, really phenomenal forest! I tried to capture a similar slanting feel in this hawthorn forest that I just put together this spring:
3A18DCA0-53D8-4D38-A441-B28707268BF0.jpeg035ADBAE-D2B7-49A9-9868-19BC4B3D6C3C.jpeg

At first I wasn’t planning on putting in the three trees to the left and then went back and forth about it for a bit and then decided to just do it. Originally my thought was to put the main tree all the way to the left side and have the whole forest slant towards the right. I’m really happy with what I did as I think it looks good for a first iteration but maybe having the trees toward the left was the “safe” choice. I do like that my primary tree is slanting to the right though instead of the more accepted straight up and down. Maybe not everyone’s choice but I think it ads interest. I started a thread for it on here. Leafing out well, will have to take a new picture when I can. Wish I had seen your forest before I put mine together though! Really awesome, love the expansive feel of it.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Serg probably at the airport waiting for his flight to Houston. I really want to go work with him tomorrow afternoon at Timeless Tree but probably can't. ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just seeing this thread for the first time, really phenomenal forest! I tried to capture a similar slanting feel in this hawthorn forest that I just put together this spring:
View attachment 240691View attachment 240692

At first I wasn’t planning on putting in the three trees to the left and then went back and forth about it for a bit and then decided to just do it. Originally my thought was to put the main tree all the way to the left side and have the whole forest slant towards the right. I’m really happy with what I did as I think it looks good for a first iteration but maybe having the trees toward the left was the “safe” choice. I do like that my primary tree is slanting to the right though instead of the more accepted straight up and down. Maybe not everyone’s choice but I think it ads interest. I started a thread for it on here. Leafing out well, will have to take a new picture when I can. Wish I had seen your forest before I put mine together though! Really awesome, love the expansive feel of it.

I think you did a great job Mike! I like your placement of all your trees very much. All easier said than done!

This is going to be quite nice in a few years!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Serg probably at the airport waiting for his flight to Houston. I really want to go work with him tomorrow afternoon at Timeless Tree but probably can't. ?

Lol indeed I am! Well too bad but hoping you can make it. If not perhaps next time ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Lance, unfortunately I lost almost the entire forest to fungus in the spring of 2019. We had an unseasonably cold and wet spring. I was able to save the main triple trunk tree which is now back now growing as a single specimen. I would like to come back to this design again at some point.

LOL pot itself is doing great but currently not in use.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I had missed that one 😄

Mach5, sorry to hear about your loss. I think you should try again, I like the long pot with a grove.

Top Bottom