The new regs...

Random User

Reaction score
... if the new regs apply to anyone (even ppl outside of the EU) I'll say my farewell now, because I won't re-new my membership... thanks for all the laughs people, it's been fun! :)

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... if the new regs apply to anyone (even ppl outside of the EU) I'll say my farewell now, because I won't re-new my membership... thanks for all the laughs people, it's been fun! :)
If you’re referring to GDPR, I think you have misunderstood what that’s all about. It places no new restrictions on visitors to a website. Only the operator of the website has to be concerned because those regulations add new restrictions on what data a website is permitted to collect and how it can be used. In short, it prohibits the website from doing some things that they could previously do. It doesn’t take any rights away from visitors to a website.

Random User

Reaction score
"In order to be compliant, the following will be implemented on the Bonsai Nut web site:"

"All users will need to acknowledge and agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. We will be sending out an email shortly highlighting changes and asking people to accept the terms as a condition of membership on the site."

Random User

Reaction score
... let me add that my decision to not renew my membership is no reflection on the site, the administration, or the members... had I have known that I couldn't rescind my membership from the beginning, I would not have joined. To not have realized this before joining was a failure on my part.

There was a bit of research that I had to do, and that search has long been completed (fruitlessly), so now I find the ability to post something tends to lead into a time-burner for me, and I can't stop myself from adding my bit of foolishness from time to time. :)

I can honestly say that I would not have my BRTs had it not have been for this site though... they are a good little indoor tree.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Is there a particular term, condition, or portion of the T & C and Privacy Policy that you have a problem with?

Because, from what I understand, all that is changing is that the the site will now require you to affirmatively agree to both documents, whereas previously (as was standard Internet practice), you gave your implicit agreement just by using the site.

It's obviously your decision not to renew, I just hope that you aren't making unwarranted assumptions about what "renewal" means.

Random User

Reaction score
Oh no, nothing like that.

I would have rescinded my membership long ago if I could have.

The only really negative part of any web membership is the constant arguing and conflict, and it appears to me anyway, that Canadians are poorly accustomed to such a high degree of negativity when it comes to something that is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime... it will also be one less reason not to do my dishes, etc. :p

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've left internet communities when they turn into more of time/energy suck than a resource, so I understand that. And there are definitely folks in this community that (IMHO) lower its value as a resource. Not enough for me to leave mind you, just enough for me to wish that they weren't here* ;).

I guess I'm a little confused about what that has to do with the new regulations/site changes.

*I'm glad ignore lists are an option here. They just aren't as useful when others keep interacting with the ignored person.

Random User

Reaction score
I guess I'm a little confused about what that has to do with the new regulations/site changes.

It gives me an "out" and the OP was a result of not knowing when the change comes into full effect, allowing me to disappear like Houdini... :p

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Oh no, nothing like that.

I would have rescinded my membership long ago if I could have.

The only really negative part of any web membership is the constant arguing and conflict, and it appears to me anyway, that Canadians are poorly accustomed to such a high degree of negativity when it comes to something that is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime... it will also be one less reason not to do my dishes, etc. :p
Kinda scratching my head reading this, i don't know you guys and i understand the point of conflicts, but why not just stop posting and never come back if you don't like it. I can't stand most of what the EU does, this seems pointless. If this isn't the reason you are quitting then why go out of your way to proclaim you aren't going to agree to it? Because how you state it seems like you want to quit because of the TOS, which if you are on here you already agree to them every time you come on whether you like it or not.:confused:

Random User

Reaction score
How $*%&ing unclear is this?
had I have known that I couldn't rescind my membership from the beginning, I would not have joined. To not have realized this before joining was a failure on my part.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I read it, i don't understand what the point is about whether you can delete your membership or not...not like it's a financial Institution. You are already a member, it doesn't seem pointless to 'quit'?
The other point i made was, according to what you said, you are leaving because you can't quit. It had nothing to do with the new TOS then. By posting, it makes it seem you don't like the new TOS. If not then why bother posting a quit rant?
"In order to be compliant, the following will be implemented on the Bonsai Nut web site:"

"All users will need to acknowledge and agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. We will be sending out an email shortly highlighting changes and asking people to accept the terms as a condition of membership on the site."
I don't think not agreeing makes your membership deleted, you just have to agree to use the site. @Bonsai Nut
When deleting a user, all the user's content will be anonymised. (We have been doing this manually, but it will now be automatic)
Doesn't that mean you can be deleted? Or just for EU people?o_O

So if you can delete your account, you won't quit? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
had I have known that I couldn't rescind my membership from the beginning, I would not have joined

You can rescind your membership at any time. You account name will be removed and all of your content will be anonymized. You may have already seen posts from "Random user". Those are posts from people who have indicated that they no longer want to be members.

One thing we will not do is DELETE content unless there is a specific reason for doing so. Given the nature of a forum site, with numerous conversations, links to other content, quotes from one member by another, to try to remove every last electronic link is near impossible. Therefore by changing all deleted member accounts to Random User there is no way for people to know which deleted member account posted which content.

By the way, most of the privacy concerns involve sites where people are personally identified (by name). I do not require any of your private information to register with this site, and even now do not know who most of you are.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Kinda scratching my head reading this, i don't know you guys and i understand the point of conflicts, but why not just stop posting and never come back if you don't like it.

Exactly.

I don't know who @Random User is, and if he doesn't want to be a member here, there is nothing stopping him from leaving.

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
Then why is it that when I even went so far as to ask to be banned, I never got a response?

Obviously, by the posts that I made on this thread, I was lead to believe that I can't have my membership deleted... I fully understand why you wouldn't want to wholesale remove all of my posts because it would leave voids in the conversations that would, at best, "look odd"... if I can recinde my membership at any time, then please make this the last time that I ask to do so... either ban me, recinde my membership, or when the time comes, I won't renew... it will all be the same in the long run... the OP was written to say farewell before I left, and now it's turned into another shit show.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the OP was written to say farewell before I left, and now it's turned into another shit show.
If you seem to be involved in a lot of shit shows (and that seems to be the case based on recent events), it's not the site's fault, or the other member's faults. It means you're either here to stir things up, or you just can't control yourself. In either case, hasta la vista...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like I said...hasta la vista...

Random User

Reaction score
You can rescind your membership at any time. You account name will be removed and all of your content will be anonymized. You may have already seen posts from "Random user". Those are posts from people who have indicated that they no longer want to be members.

So how about it @Bonsai Nut, are you going to show everyone how someone can rescind their membership when they ask, or not?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So how about it @Bonsai Nut, are you going to show everyone how someone can rescind their membership when they ask, or not?

We live in a funny world. Someone asks you for something, you give it to them for free, they can give it back or throw it away at any time... and they will still find a reason to complain.

Buh bye.

Last edited:
Top Bottom