The Little Christmas Tree Contest (2020 - 2023)

I actually bought the exact same stone pine from Kroger. That and an Alberta Spruce grinchmas tree. Didn't take any pictures but they've been in the ground since January.
I'm fairly shocked at how much growth it's putting out, think a lot can be done with it in the next couple years. Put up pics of yours!

B

I'm fairly shocked at how much growth it's putting out, think a lot can be done with it in the next couple years. Put up pics of yours!

B
Funnily enough, since I live in an apartment right now, they're in my folks yards. Plant and forget. I will try to remember to take pictures next time I visit.

My blue spruce is doing great. Repotted into an oversized (and too deep but I was too lazy to build a new one) grow box this spring. Akadama, pumice, lava 3:1:1.

Bud break on these in the spring is one of my favorites:
E84F7110-EF5E-44C3-B104-71FCD6EA8841.jpeg

Later in the spring, after the new shoots hardened off (as indicated by phloem formation in the new shoots) I performed some branch selection to reduce whorls and allow light and air into the interior. Heres a before pic, I forgot to take an after. Wasn’t a drastic change because I was pretty conservative given the repot.
320B8D03-37C4-49DB-9564-30A384641836.jpeg

Doing great now with nice plump buds forming for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Alberta, twisted Norway and Blvd cypress.
We'll they're alive. Trouble loading pics

Attachments

• IMG_20200727_130131223.jpg
    IMG_20200727_130131223.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 55
Making progress, slowly, 2nd wiring...
Pa X 2020_0823 rewired posted.JPG
Wiring would be ugly anyway, but missing existing interior buds in good positions make it worse. Believe it or not, this is what careful wiring looks like.:rolleyes: Extra heavy wire is necessary to have looser coils that allow for growth, as I expect to leave this wire on for a year.

Back
Top Bottom