The Big Move

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With housing prices continuing to go up here in CA, owning a home seemed like it would never happen. When our monthly rent was increased again by $300 (for the 3rd year in a row!) my wife and I had to have some difficult conversations. We've got young kids who are starting to get good friends through school and sports and we really didn't want to move them, but the only option would be renting forever or winning the lottery. We both make decent money but you need to make about $350K to live comfortably in this area.

We've got family in and around Boston and have been out a few times over the last 5 years. We both liked the area and started to explore potentially buying something out there. Flash forward to this week and we are closing on a house about 30 minutes north of Boston. It's still a little surreal and I don't think the full weight of a cross country move has set in, but the house should officially be ours by the end of June.

The amazing part is that the house is quite a bit bigger so the kids have some room to run around AND it sits on 1.9 acres of land. About half of it is wooded with big mature trees, and the other half is pretty open with grass and a garden and gets a lot of unobstructed sunlight. Obviously my wife and kid's needs come first, buuuuttttt I'm incredibly excited to have a bit more room for some trees and won't have to take away play space from my kids for my hobby.

So in addition to packing up and moving our house, I'll also need to start thinking about what trees to take, but I'm concerned about what might not survive. I'll be going from 10a/b to 6b. Here's what I think I'll keep vs. what will either be sold or given away at my bonsai club. If any of you have more insight on trees that won't survive out there I'd love to hear so I don't transport stuff all the way across the country just to have it die.

Keep:
Cork Oak (I know this might need to spend some/all of the winter partially protected)
Olive (Same here, likely indoors/protected for the winter)
Procumbens Juniper
A few cork jades in nice pots (protected as well)
Siberian elms (Cmeg kabudashi which are blowing up)
Rosemary
Japanese black pines (might only keep 2 of the 3 since space will be tight)
Willow Leaf ficus
Shimpaku juniper starter

Get rid of:
All or most of my oak starters - I have 2 boxes (Cork and Live Oak) which I started this year for the acorn competition, as well as a box I started last year that is out of control. If someone wants to take over and finish out the acorn competition maybe we can get an exemption from the judges :)
Privet - Cool 3 trunk privet I collected from the landscaping, not sure if I'll have space
Small boxwood - nothing spectacular, started from big box gallon can
Handful of Jades/ P afras
Bougainvilleas

Now that I look at my "keep" list I may have to remove a couple more of those.

Attachments

• IMG_8313.jpg
    IMG_8313.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8314.jpg
    IMG_8314.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8315.jpg
    IMG_8315.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8317.jpg
    IMG_8317.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8316.jpg
    IMG_8316.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8318.jpg
    IMG_8318.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 41
Wow, sounds like a win - win for your whole family. Hope your move goes smoothly, at least it seems like you won't have a ton of trees to relocate. I think you will like the climate where you are moving to, it's a very nice area.

Wow, sounds like a win - win for your whole family. Hope your move goes smoothly, at least it seems like you won't have a ton of trees to relocate. I think you will like the climate where you are moving to, it's a very nice area.
Thank you! Yeah, in this instance it's good that I'm so new to the hobby, mostly just starter material and pre-bonsai stuff that I'm not super attached to yet.

Just don't bring the poor voting records to mass...o wait never mind its already blue. "affordability" isnt something you will find in liberal America. But best of luck on the move.

With housing prices continuing to go up here in CA, owning a home seemed like it would never happen. When our monthly rent was increased again by $300 (for the 3rd year in a row!) my wife and I had to have some difficult conversations. We've got young kids who are starting to get good friends through school and sports and we really didn't want to move them, but the only option would be renting forever or winning the lottery. We both make decent money but you need to make about $350K to live comfortably in this area.

We've got family in and around Boston and have been out a few times over the last 5 years. We both liked the area and started to explore potentially buying something out there. Flash forward to this week and we are closing on a house about 30 minutes north of Boston. It's still a little surreal and I don't think the full weight of a cross country move has set in, but the house should officially be ours by the end of June.

The amazing part is that the house is quite a bit bigger so the kids have some room to run around AND it sits on 1.9 acres of land. About half of it is wooded with big mature trees, and the other half is pretty open with grass and a garden and gets a lot of unobstructed sunlight. Obviously my wife and kid's needs come first, buuuuttttt I'm incredibly excited to have a bit more room for some trees and won't have to take away play space from my kids for my hobby.

So in addition to packing up and moving our house, I'll also need to start thinking about what trees to take, but I'm concerned about what might not survive. I'll be going from 10a/b to 6b. Here's what I think I'll keep vs. what will either be sold or given away at my bonsai club. If any of you have more insight on trees that won't survive out there I'd love to hear so I don't transport stuff all the way across the country just to have it die.

Keep:
Cork Oak (I know this might need to spend some/all of the winter partially protected)
Olive (Same here, likely indoors/protected for the winter)
Procumbens Juniper
A few cork jades in nice pots (protected as well)
Siberian elms (Cmeg kabudashi which are blowing up)
Rosemary
Japanese black pines (might only keep 2 of the 3 since space will be tight)
Willow Leaf ficus
Shimpaku juniper starter

Get rid of:
All or most of my oak starters - I have 2 boxes (Cork and Live Oak) which I started this year for the acorn competition, as well as a box I started last year that is out of control. If someone wants to take over and finish out the acorn competition maybe we can get an exemption from the judges :)
Privet - Cool 3 trunk privet I collected from the landscaping, not sure if I'll have space
Small boxwood - nothing spectacular, started from big box gallon can
Handful of Jades/ P afras
Bougainvilleas

Now that I look at my "keep" list I may have to remove a couple more of those.
Congrats on the move. Boston holds a special place in my heart. Lived there a couple of times. New England in the autumn is truly special.

Anyway, unless you have a cold greenhouse (not a cold frame, not a tarp, or polytunnel) Cork Oak ain't gonna happen (it may limp along for a couple of years, but ultimately (and a couple of N'oreasters and blizzards) it will die. Same for olive and the ficus will have to overwinter inside.

If I were you, once established up their, look into more native species, particularly larch, apple, and other colder hardy trees.

Welcome to the north east.
Congrats on the house.
Best of luck with the move.

I think your keep list will be fine except perhaps the cork oak as Rockm said.
The willow leaf ficus will also need to be inside during the winter.
The privet should be fine too if you decide you want to keep it

Metro Boston- really the Cape where my folks still own a house- is on the short list for where we might land in retirement. Though not cheap to live there, it's got LOADS of things going for it and I'm sure you'll love it. As far as trees go, the Junipers and JBP will be fine with typical winter protection... though if fairly refined, you will have to protect from the possibility of HEAVY and wet snow. Twenty years ago, snow storms of 12 inches plus occurred multiple times every year and might be the exception now but still can be expected. I've kept my olive hear in SE MI successfully for three years by treating it as a house plant once frost threatens every October... I keep it under grow lights. I wonder how far you might be from Bonsai West in Littleton... one of the places I visited frequently as a newb years ago.. Good luck with the move.

FWIW, if you want to see what "works" in the N.E. locate a copy of Nick Lenz' "Bonsai from the Wild" He was based in New England and the knowledge put into that book about what works up there and how to care for it are outstanding. Book is expensive though if you can find it.

Metro Boston- really the Cape where my folks still own a house- is on the short list for where we might land in retirement. Though not cheap to live there, it's got LOADS of things going for it and I'm sure you'll love it. As far as trees go, the Junipers and JBP will be fine with typical winter protection... though if fairly refined, you will have to protect from the possibility of HEAVY and wet snow. Twenty years ago, snow storms of 12 inches plus occurred multiple times every year and might be the exception now but still can be expected. I've kept my olive hear in SE MI successfully for three years by treating it as a house plant once frost threatens every October... I keep it under grow lights. I wonder how far you might be from Bonsai West in Littleton... one of the places I visited frequently as a newb years ago.. Good luck with the move.
Thanks for the recommendation, we're going to be in North Andover so it looks like it's about 30 minutes down the 495, definitely going to have to check that out!

check out the Northeast Bonsai Association, Kaikou Study Group, Pioneer Valley Bonsai Association, and Black Dodge Bonsai. Bonsai West and New England Bonsai Gardens have already been mentioned but I’ll repeat those. Plenty of bonsai stuff in the area.

Yeah all the local spots/groups have been noted. I have a tendency to be isolated but have recently started attending some NEBA meetings - super nice folks all around.

Good luck with the house, I too have a money pit - it can be stressful and/or fun depending on your outlook.

Anyway, unless you have a cold greenhouse (not a cold frame, not a tarp, or polytunnel) Cork Oak ain't gonna happen (it may limp along for a couple of years, but ultimately (and a couple of N'oreasters and blizzards) it will die. Same for olive and the ficus will have to overwinter inside.
@Paradox I was afraid that might be the case. Unfortunately my cork is probably my nicest, closest to "real bonsai" tree. Definitely won't have the funds for a serious green house for a couple years. I'll probably get a little grow light for the ficus, olive and p afras and keep those indoors. I've got plenty of room to bring the oak inside and given the size I'd probably have to get it it's own light to get anywhere near enough light. Would that be a feasible plan or should I just bite the bullet and sell it locally?

You can board trees for the winter at Bonsai West in the cold greenhouse for a reasonable fee. And another vote for joining the Northeast Bonsai Association club 👍

Back
Top Bottom