The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dug this big ol hornbeam today. It was too good to pass up. I will have to baby it through the cold but that’s ok. It’s got alot going for it, a nice base, movement down low and plenty fine feeder roots. I’m thinking a taller formal design for this one. The root slayer makes collecting dangerously easy 😁IMG_0500.jpegIMG_0501.jpegIMG_0502.jpegIMG_0503.jpeg

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oooo, how'd I miss this thread...
New Years Day, went for a walk in the woods

Wasn't 100 percent sure on this one, possibly red maple, of which I haven't played with, so grabbed it.
20240103_170234.jpg
20240101_162655.jpg
Oak
20240101_143653.jpg
Beech, didn't snap a photo of it post dig, nebari wasn't anything special, though it had a ton of feeder roots.
20240101_150902.jpg
Another American Beech pair, haven't dug them yet, but note worthy I thought, nice movement. May give them a couple years, they are 100 yards from the house.
20240101_140404.jpg
December 26th Collections, close enough to 2024 they'll get dropped in here as well.

Eastern hemlock, grabbed 2, usually they are straight trunked and uninteresting, but these had movement and health.
20231226_234517.jpg
20231227_002939.jpg

And this American Beech. One worth crying over if it doesn't make it I figure. I really love the potential. It will be going on a heat bed, hopefully it will help it to develop roots over the winter in my heavily insulated shed.

It was rooted over a chunk of loose rock in shallow soil...I had this 22 inch pot I wasn't using so it went in there. It was dumping rain by the time I got home,and about half way through collection it was a solid drizzle, so I opted to not build a wooden box for it as rain was blowing into the porch and my treated deck boards I use to make boxes was all drenched.

I wish I had taken a picture of the root system, probably a fist sized amount of feeder roots total, mostly near the trunk on the opposite side of the rock, it was on the ledge of a 6 ft ledge of a cutout in a logging road. Soil is 1-1-1 kanuma, Lava rock, and pumice.
20231226_151612.jpg
20231226_193828.jpg20231226_193800.jpg
And this one I left for later, the guy has been chopped back repeatedly to leave a view of the creek behind it.
20231226_145205.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oooo, how'd I miss this thread...
New Years Day, went for a walk in the woods

Wasn't 100 percent sure on this one, possibly red maple, of which I haven't played with, so grabbed it.
View attachment 524069
View attachment 524070
Oak
View attachment 524071
Beech, didn't snap a photo of it post dig, nebari wasn't anything special, though it had a ton of feeder roots.
View attachment 524072
Another American Beech pair, haven't dug them yet, but note worthy I thought, nice movement. May give them a couple years, they are 100 yards from the house.
View attachment 524073
December 26th Collections, close enough to 2024 they'll get dropped in here as well.

Eastern hemlock, grabbed 2, usually they are straight trunked and uninteresting, but these had movement and health.
View attachment 524074
View attachment 524075

And this American Beech. One worth crying over if it doesn't make it I figure. I really love the potential. It will be going on a heat bed, hopefully it will help it to develop roots over the winter in my heavily insulated shed.

It was rooted over a chunk of loose rock in shallow soil...I had this 22 inch pot I wasn't using so it went in there. It was dumping rain by the time I got home,and about half way through collection it was a solid drizzle, so I opted to not build a wooden box for it as rain was blowing into the porch and my treated deck boards I use to make boxes was all drenched.

I wish I had taken a picture of the root system, probably a fist sized amount of feeder roots total, mostly near the trunk on the opposite side of the rock, it was on the ledge of a 6 ft ledge of a cutout in a logging road. Soil is 1-1-1 kanuma, Lava rock, and pumice.
View attachment 524079
View attachment 524077View attachment 524076
And this one I left for later, the guy has been chopped back repeatedly to leave a view of the creek behind it.
View attachment 524078
Very nice.
For the last tree, if I were to collect it later, I would clean up all previous chops and get the scar healing going right now when the tree is still in the ground and growing vigorously.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice.
For the last tree, if I were to collect it later, I would clean up all previous chops and get the scar healing going right now when the tree is still in the ground and growing vigorously.
That's what I was planning, as many chops as there are, I was planning on cleaning it uo, and sealing the cuts this spring. Hopefully they don't go and chop them down again by the time I collect. (There are 6 or 7 similar within 20 yards, that's just the first one I saw and took a photo)

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's what I was planning, as many chops as there are, I was planning on cleaning it uo, and sealing the cuts this spring. Hopefully they don't go and chop them down again by the time I collect. (There are 6 or 7 similar within 20 yards, that's just the first one I saw and took a photo)
That first does look like a red maple- I collected a very similar looking one last spring.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Took two 3 hour trips on separate days but found this oak. Hard to tell if it’s a scrub or coast live oak. Found it on a mostly sand stone hill.

Was nestled in a valley of soft stone that water probably runs through frequently. Was able to carefully dig it out with my hands.

Got 3 branching roots and definitely some feeders. Went ahead and defoliated it as instructed by some experienced cali oak collectors. Has a nice base you can begin to see that flares beneath the soil. Hopefully this makes it!

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2735.jpeg
    IMG_2735.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 54

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Took two 3 hour trips on separate days but found this oak. Hard to tell if it’s a scrub or coast live oak. Found it on a mostly sand stone hill.

Was nestled in a valley of soft stone that water probably runs through frequently. Was able to carefully dig it out with my hands.

Got 3 branching roots and definitely some feeders. Went ahead and defoliated it as instructed by some experienced cali oak collectors. Has a nice base you can begin to see that flares beneath the soil. Hopefully this makes it!
Bark is right for a young coast live oak, but I don't have much experience with the scrub oaks.

bugjuice-bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
He mentioned at some point he's moving up here to the Philly area.
I'm in the DC area. Not to far from Philly. The PA mountains have some marvelous pine trees. We are planning to do some tree hunting in early spring time in PA around pitston, mountain top areas if you're familiar?
How is it in your area? My wife is a Philly native, I'd love to take a weekend and do some hunting around there if you know of any good spots?

bugjuice-bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
How big you want? I’m in the middle of winged elm country. It literally snows seeds every spring. I can get pretty much any size you want and I have a few stumps I collected last year.
I'd be interested!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm in the DC area. Not to far from Philly. The PA mountains have some marvelous pine trees. We are planning to do some tree hunting in early spring time in PA around pitston, mountain top areas if you're familiar?
How is it in your area? My wife is a Philly native, I'd love to take a weekend and do some hunting around there if you know of any good spots?

I am not familiar. I've done most of my collecting in the swamp behind my parents' house on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Lots of Carpinus caroliniana in the low areas and Fagus grandifolia on higher ground.

bugjuice-bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I am not familiar. I've done most of my collecting in the swamp behind my parents' house on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Lots of Carpinus caroliniana in the low areas and Fagus grandifolia on higher ground.
Never looked out that way!
Where I'm talking about is north west of Philly. In the mountains. The pitch pine there are freaking magnificent!
I am on a quest for larch and a white barked tree (poplar, birch, Sycamore etc). But I have good friends on the Eastern shore I might hit up!. Best of luck and good hunting to you.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am heading to my friend's land to check on the trees I've planted and the seedlings he planted yesterday. We also have some concerns about an aggressive group of beaver that has come to the crawfish pond. They have already down a few trees. I am hoping none of them are BCs.
I don't have much time. I don't plan to collect but if I do, it will be just one tree.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am heading to my friend's land to check on the trees I've planted and the seedlings he planted yesterday. We also have some concerns about an aggressive group of beaver that has come to the crawfish pond. They have already down a few trees. I am hoping none of them are BCs.
I don't have much time. I don't plan to collect but if I do, it will be just one tree.
Collected one BC. One BC was downed by beavers.
IMG_1003.jpeg
IMG_1004.jpeg
IMG_1002.jpeg

Top Bottom