The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All 4 live oaks I collected have budded. Collected in February, they took 6-7 weeks to bud. I have two in pots and two in grow beds. All were planted in potting soil. Trunk sizes range from 1.5 to 2.5”
View attachment 540331View attachment 540332View attachment 540333View attachment 540334
Looking great. I always thought I'd be sacrificed for mentioning potting soil, but you've saved me here. Happy growing.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looking great. I always thought I'd be sacrificed for mentioning potting soil, but you've saved me here. Happy growing.
I know potting soil isn't the best thing for them but that's what I have. The one thing I have to be really careful with planting collected trees in potting soil is the watering schedule. I have to be judicious else the newly formed roots will rot. I plan to move these to better soil next spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know potting soil isn't the best thing for them but that's what I have. The one thing I have to be really careful with planting collected trees in potting soil is the watering schedule. I have to be judicious else the newly formed roots will rot. I plan to move these to better soil next spring.
Yeah I always amend mine with other things like fine pine chunks and some pumice for aeration. Also I always use an organic blend that is pretty chunky I find at lowes that contains woody chunks similar to nursery soils.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tend to just go with a mix of pine bark, pumice, and peat...the soil I collect from tends to be more acidic though, so peat isn't bad and seems to work well. Yesterday had high winds and the relative humidity when I got home from work was 22 percent... talk about aweful...usually Kentucky is humid af.

CreekChalk

Sapling
Reaction score
I’ve been abusing these Ashe juniper. Will continue to develop in ground and air layer next yr and then prep for collection in 2-3 yrs.

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 34

CreekChalk

Sapling
Reaction score
A few sycamore in my creek that I have been chopping and feeding my goats. Plan to continue until they look like they’re ready and then it’s skid steer time for collecting.

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1570.jpeg
    IMG_1570.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 26

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m having a lot of trouble with one of the two thick Hornbeams I collected at the end of February here. One of them is producing one nice bud on the trunk and a few suckers, while the other has no signs of life.

From everyone’s collective experience, how long does it take for the dormant buds on C Caroliniana to pop after collection? 2 months? 3?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m having a lot of trouble with one of the two thick Hornbeams I collected at the end of February here. One of them is producing one nice bud on the trunk and a few suckers, while the other has no signs of life.

From everyone’s collective experience, how long does it take for the dormant buds on C Caroliniana to pop after collection? 2 months? 3?
Sometimes they are slow to wake and sometimes they never do. How here the roots on it at collection? A decent amount of fine roots? Some of mine were late and are just starting to push. If they don’t push by June they are goners.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Almost no fine roots. Basically bare rooted to the monster main roots at the trunk. Lots of green on the cambium still, so hopefully they push in a few weeks.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good looking stumps there! That twisted one bottom left is killer! How’s the elm recovering from its travels?
Thanks, that’s a huge azalea. It was dug out of a friends yard, he put it in a pile, I grabbed it after a month, and now it’s starting to push buds, so we’ll see how it looks (or if it lives) in a year or two.

Elm is recovering wonderfully!

Top Bottom