Thanks Rock!

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I just wanted to thank you guys, everyone here on the forum, who helped me this year with my first major collection attempts. It seems to have all been successful so far. They have all leafed out. Some have bloomed even. The advice I was given worked and I'm grateful. Here are some pics. They are by far not much to look at, this is their first year, but I hope the success I have had with acquiring them also continues throughout their training. Here are a few pics of the outcomes. ;)

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The first is one I created a thread about attempting to ID it. It was indeed a rhodie. I love it. It's already shooting out a decent amount of new leaves in addition to the blooms, on parts that were previously bare. The rest are mostly Japanese maples that I collected from the yard of a man who didn't want them. They were decent sized landscape specimens that needed to be chopped and collected. They all have leafed out and the one that was just a tall stump has plenty of buds popping on them. I have some visions for these trees but no definite plans. I think I'll just let them grow for a while to build the root mass and strengthen them up. The one JM seems to already have small leaves. They are tiny in comparison to all the other japanese maples I have. So I'm excited about it. Any thoughts on any of them? I know they will require years of dedication and I"m ready to do so. Thanks again, everyone!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves on the JM are likely to get bigger the more it grows. Recently-collected trees often put out smaller (or larger) than normal foliage because of stress. Word of advice now that they're leafing out, IGNORE THEM for the most part. Tend to their basic needs--make sure they stay moist, not soggy or dried out and get some morning sun. Other than than LEAVE THEM ALONE and don't get too attached to them.

Successful collecting isn't measured in the first year. It is measured in success in the next two springs. If a tree makes it past those milemarkers, you're good to go.

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The leaves on the JM are likely to get bigger the more it grows. Recently-collected trees often put out smaller (or larger) than normal foliage because of stress. Word of advice now that they're leafing out, IGNORE THEM for the most part. Tend to their basic needs--make sure they stay moist, not soggy or dried out and get some morning sun. Other than than LEAVE THEM ALONE and don't get too attached to them.

Successful collecting isn't measured in the first year. It is measured in success in the next two springs. If a tree makes it past those milemarkers, you're good to go.

This is the most concise, un-convoluted and seemingly sound advice I have read regarding what to do with recently collected material. As I am new to this as well and have some material that is also in the "ICU" phase, these words are as humbling as they are encouraging. Thank you!!

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Congratulations and well done.

Best,

Augustine
central MD 7a

Top Bottom