Texas Scarlet Quince

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love quince. My local Lowes just took delivery on a bunch of Texas Scarlet Quince that look really outstanding. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the varietal.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have. I found Texas Scarlett's to be easy to style, pretty rugged and good bloomers. They are also prone to sucker and also prone to aphids. With this quince, suckers may seem insignificant but in a pot they can wreak havoc with the main tree. There are only so many nutrients to go around.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just got one last year...so many flowers...They do have lots of suckers, and I have had no insect problems with them. I am excited to see what happens this year with mine!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had one for a few years, but it was sold me as another variety. I have given it a great deal of abuse and it continues to be vigorous. Scale is the only problem I have encountered. VERY base dominant, so don't attempt a tall or single trunk specimen.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I saw these on sale at my local Lowes as well! I almost got one, but already had two Azaleas and a couple bags of dirt on my cart... Just didn't want to add another $20 to my bill...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok, thanks all. Settles it, I'm going back tomorrow to pick one up. There were several that looked very vigorous, to say the least.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good choice. Lots of company with working with this variety.

Top Bottom