USDA Zone
Nice!

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its looks good, are those compound leaves always that small? They look much better as the rain-tree leaves, or is a Tex Ebony another name for rain tree? :D

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
Cant say any more about the taxology, The Texas Ebony is a dry land, high heat, thorny rascal. I have seen photos of the "rain trees" and others that look very similar, others will surely help us out here.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
View attachment 108261

Here is a big box Tex Ebony, it was 3X tall with a big bare section in the middle, wouldn't sell so I made em an offer. Last fall I sawed off the top and sawed off 2/3 of the bottom stuck it in a box and off she went. Time for some training now that it's happy.

Love these!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Its looks good, are those compound leaves always that small? They look much better as the rain-tree leaves, or is a Tex Ebony another name for rain tree? :D
Cant say any more about the taxology, The Texas Ebony is a dry land, high heat, thorny rascal. I have seen photos of the "rain trees" and others that look very similar, others will surely help us out here.

Texas Ebony (AKA: Ebony Blackbead, Ebano, Ebony Apes-Earring )- Ebenopsis ebano (Family: Fabaceae)
Native range from Southern tip of Texas to the roughly the Yucatan

Brazilian
Rain Tree - Chloroleucon tortum (formerly known as Pithecellobium tortum) (Family: Fabaceae)
Native range is the Northeast portion of South America

Not the same but related...

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
TX Ebony, Pithecellobium flexicaule. its a legume. Leaves close at night. They stay tiny. Nice tree.

Top Bottom