Swamp Cypress Styling Help

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Is it time to prune this back or what? Spring growth looks hardened off and I do not want to lose control of the top and this guy is in the first year of refinement! Only asking because this my first and only BC.
20220609_004707.jpg

Last edited:

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
The entire top of the tree died last season and it doesn't appear to be popping buds on the left side of the tree this year. Is that the live vein popping out of the third pic like an earthworm? Basically, I trunk chop to the top branch and grow the top again. Sheesh. Anyone have a better idea?

20240411_161247.jpg20240411_161243.jpg20240411_161233.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The entire top of the tree died last season and it doesn't appear to be popping buds on the left side of the tree this year. Is that the live vein popping out of the third pic like an earthworm? Basically, I trunk chop to the top branch and grow the top again. Sheesh. Anyone have a better idea?

View attachment 539587View attachment 539604View attachment 539588
I think you are loving and training this tree to death. Let it grow!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I left it alone last year in the hopes it would recover and push buds on the barren side this season. I will take your advice and leave it be.
In all honesty your tree would benefit greatly from being in a grow box and higher organic soil. You have big chop scars that the tree dies not have enough growth and energy to heal.

Top Bottom