Sumac bonsai?

When I look up ghetto palm, I only find references to Ailanthus altissima. Everything else yoiu said is completely true!
Ailanthus was a nightmare in my yard when I lived in Maryland.
Now it’s Brazilian pepper. At least I can probably make a bonsai from the pepper.
Good luck with the Rhus bonsai.
The flowers and seeds of some varieties can be quite showy (and make a nice spice/tea).
I wonder if I could grow one of those smaller Texas varieties in Florida.

they do. that ghetto palm aka as sumac is a plague in Denver. Almost imposible to kill, it send suckers for many many yards away from the parent tree, colonizing everywhere and wrecking my lawn. I freaking hate them. And to kill them, you need a 3 year process, because the little bugger will come back even from the tiniest piece of root left in the ground 🤬🤬🤬
I promise to keep mine in a pot then 😉

I made a stag horn native sumac plating . The plants would not backbud well,after pruning . I need to figure out when to prune.

I have a couple pots of Rhus typhina - staghorn sumac. and I have a small R. aromatica - fragrant sumac.

Fragrant sumac stays shrubby, even decades old plantings won't have any trunks, branches or woody parts no more than 3/4 inch (2 cm) in diameter, max. Leaves are too large for such a small diameter stem to make a believable shohin bonsai.

Staghorn sumac - it does back bud, after terminal bud is pruned, but very sparsely, and often a long distance from the terminal bud. The angle the new branch comes off the trunk tends to be awkward.

Any pruning at all on the main trunk will tend to trigger suckers from the roots.

Sanyasou is the term for Kusamono (accent plant) that is displayed as the focal point of a display, with no accompanying tree. These can be large scale, like the sumac owned by Kimura, which is somewhere around 6 feet tall, 2 meters. It has a beautiful literati style trunk and only one whorl of leaves up top.

Bill Valavanis's tiger eye sumac - a cultivar of Rhus typhina, is small enough to use as an accent plant accompanying a tree. Really attractive in autumn.

By the way, all Rhus species generally are dioecious - meaning male and female flowers are on separate plants. That is the reason I have 2, one dug from a female colony, one dug from a male colony. When they spread by underground root suckers they make whole monoclonal colonies. THey are like aspen in that respect.

So they are a pain in the but to do well, they never really look tree like, but they can be attractive, and with old bark very ''literati style''.

Berries of several sumac are used as a spice, especially in middle eastern cuisines. The Rhus typhina can both be used to make a ''lemonade'' or dried and ground as a type of ''Zaatar'' like a lemon flavored peppercorn.

Back
Top Bottom