Stone Slab Kurama esq

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m making my own muck this year.. muck-o isnt great imo. FWIW using your term.. I have drilled many granite , slate , man made , lace rock holes w water and diamond bits.. but I will stick with loops
why so hostile? Drill it if you want. Having grown on slabs for a while, I can say, holes aren't necessary and can be a problem. Look at most at most any Japanese slab--no drainage holes (and no wire tie downs).

FWIW, ties downs cemented to the surface can limit where you put trees. John G's suggestion about wrapping wire AROUND the planting initially solves that issue (and is arguably more effective in keeping tree in place initially).

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
why so hostile? Drill it if you want. Having grown on slabs for a while, I can say, holes aren't necessary and can be a problem. Look at most at most any Japanese slab--no drainage holes (and no wire tie downs).

FWIW, ties downs cemented to the surface can limit where you put trees. John G's suggestion about wrapping wire AROUND the planting initially solves that issue (and is arguably more effective in keeping tree in place initially).
I’m not gonna drill I’m using wire loops to hold the trees .. the roots are on a rock so they aren’t flat enough to be so stable.. I also use raffia too before instead of wiring

Top Bottom