Stand build off

OK, I took my limited carpentry skills into my son-in-law's wood shop and made this. Poplar, dark walnut stain. Looks OK if you don't look too close at the joinery. Could work for a club show I suppose.

View attachment 467354

Then started looking at it and all I could see was a capitol "G". Maybe this direction is better?

View attachment 467355

A stand at the Pacific Bonsai Exhibit was the inspiration. Maybe I'll try again some day, but this one is certainly a poor imitation of the original......
Looks good for the first time around. The only thing that I find detract from it is the different radius and/or angle in which the hoops leave the bottom shelf. On the above image, sliding everything to the side where the blue bottle is will give a more "symmetric" appearance, also it will give you more space on the top shelf for a tree.

Looks good for the first time around. The only thing that I find detract from it is the different radius and/or angle in which the hoops leave the bottom shelf. On the above image, sliding everything to the side where the blue bottle is will give a more "symmetric" appearance, also it will give you more space on the top shelf for a tree.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I should not have started with a wood bending project. Good critique though. Thanks.

I'll give a driveway chain sawed prep H treated scrap wood stand a go!
Eh, little late, but I started a stand! My idea is to essentially carve it out of a solid block of wood. I have these hickory logs I can use. Rough block cut and a little sanding to get a look at the grain. 20230104_163414.jpg20230116_141717.jpg20230116_142057.jpg20230116_145912.jpg20230116_150625.jpg

@Pitoon you should add your last root stand here...

Also, anyone else has completed any stands lately? I've been getting the itch again with the new candy store that opened here in San Antonio a few months ago. I bought a few pieces of cherry off them and also places an order for some figured and regular bubinga from Gilmer Woods. This is the first time I buy from them in eons... prices went up considerably, but their shipping still remains reasonable I think. I paid 143 including shipping. wood was 113, shipping 30.

The 2 pieces circled
1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 24 1/8" ea
1683304123233.png

And the two big boards, front and back. They look so much better in person. I need to find someone local to re-saw them. I only have a small 9" Skil bandsaw, or do the table saw method and rip it with my dozuki. But it is such a waste vs a small bandsaw kerf. Maybe in the future... Rikon Grizzly
1 7/16 x 6 7/16 x 19 5/8"
1 3/8 x 9 1/4 x 20 7/8"
1683304194849.png1683304245348.png

@Pitoon you should add your last root stand here...

Also, anyone else has completed any stands lately? I've been getting the itch again with the new candy store that opened here in San Antonio a few months ago. I bought a few pieces of cherry off them and also places an order for some figured and regular bubinga from Gilmer Woods. This is the first time I buy from them in eons... prices went up considerably, but their shipping still remains reasonable I think. I paid 143 including shipping. wood was 113, shipping 30.

The 2 pieces circled
1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 24 1/8" ea
View attachment 486268

And the two big boards, front and back. They look so much better in person. I need to find someone local to re-saw them. I only have a small 9" Skil bandsaw, or do the table saw method and rip it with my dozuki. But it is such a waste vs a small bandsaw kerf. Maybe in the future... Rikon Grizzly
1 7/16 x 6 7/16 x 19 5/8"
1 3/8 x 9 1/4 x 20 7/8"
View attachment 486269View attachment 486270
I discovered Grizzly and have been aching for one of those machines ever since.

Without that, I do think a table saw is your best bet. You won't get noticeably more waste than a band saw, and much straighter cuts.
I've been doing a table saw for everything a circular saw won't do for years, including milling logs. It sucks for milling, but otherwise makes for a much cleaner product for building type material.

I discovered Grizzly and have been aching for one of those machines ever since.
I found out about Grizzly when I started making guitars in 2004... haven't bought anything yet. Now I wish I had done so a long time ago.

I found out about Grizzly when I started making guitars in 2004... haven't bought anything yet. Now I wish I had done so a long time ago.
The problem with Grizzly is that they don't make their machines. They buy machines from other companies and just put their name on it. Once those companies stop making the machines you can't find parts. It happened to me. I will never buy a Grizzly machine again.

The problem with Grizzly is that they don't make their machines. They buy machines from other companies and just put their name on it. Once those companies stop making the machines you can't find parts. It happened to me. I will never buy a Grizzly machine again.
Huh. Good to know. I haven't heard anything terrible about them.
Do you know a way to find out who's manufacturing a particular model? Might be able to find an alternative route.

Well, that's a shame... I guess I may end up with this JET. I don't see myself ripping anything larger than a 12" plank, so the 13" capacity would be good for me.

Well, that's a shame... I guess I may end up with this JET. I don't see myself ripping anything larger than a 12" plank, so the 13" capacity would be good for me.
If you think 13" clearance would be good for you, my recommendation would be to move up to 15-16". You will find yourself needing the extra clearance later down the road. Laguna and Powermatic are other options. Powermatic will cost you though. If you plan to rip boards try to get a machine with at least 3hp.

If you think 13" clearance would be good for you, my recommendation would be to move up to 15-16". You will find yourself needing the extra clearance later down the road. Laguna and Powermatic are other options. Powermatic will cost you though. If you plan to rip boards try to get a machine with at least 3hp.
That's what I was going to say. I need a bare minimum of 2hp because I like to find the wood for free from people's tree trimming or the like. That means I have to mill it down.
My issue has been finding something with decent clearance AND HP at a decent price.

I've been getting creative with my Skill portable table saw, but it's not cutting it (pun not intended, but I it was way too much thought to find a better way to say it).

Here's a little box stand I managed to finish in four days. It's currently on display in the formal wing, today thru Sunday next week at the US National Arboretum.

This wood is 'Chechen Rosewood".

20230501_131615.jpg20230501_161729.jpg20230503_175851.jpg20230505_090937.jpg20230505_121158.jpg20230505_152840.jpg20230506_110225.jpg20230506_110238.jpg

I've been wanting to try and build stands/tables myself for a while now, but I'm pretty new to woodworking.
So I've taken a few classes to get more familiar and been reading/watching/practicing a lot on making joints etc. I would prefer to avoid machinery as I don't have to room for them and just use hand tools.

The problem I have is translating everything into smaller proportions for bonsai size.
Like for example I have a few 'small' block planes (3's en 4's), but compared to the plane Pitoon showed they are huge and not easy to work with for these projects.
Found some violin builders planes, but I'm not sure they would be able to do the job?

I've been searching but have a hard time finding info on building presentation tables with traditional joinery.

I've been wanting to try and build stands/tables myself for a while now, but I'm pretty new to woodworking.
So I've taken a few classes to get more familiar and been reading/watching/practicing a lot on making joints etc. I would prefer to avoid machinery as I don't have to room for them and just use hand tools.

The problem I have is translating everything into smaller proportions for bonsai size.
Like for example I have a few 'small' block planes (3's en 4's), but compared to the plane Pitoon showed they are huge and not easy to work with for these projects.
Found some violin builders planes, but I'm not sure they would be able to do the job?

I've been searching but have a hard time finding info on building presentation tables with traditional joinery.
Similar situation here. I have tools for CARVING wood, but little for carpentry.

My suggestion for small scale joinery would be to look into small display cases or boxes, then adapt it. I mean what's a display stand but the bottom of a case, or a box without sides?

Similar situation here. I have tools for CARVING wood, but little for carpentry.

My suggestion for small scale joinery would be to look into small display cases or boxes, then adapt it. I mean what's a display stand but the bottom of a case, or a box without sides?

To me, joinery is all the same. The only difference is the scale at which they are done. Look into some of the stand build threads here to get some idea. Also, google is a great tool for finding joinery examples to follow.

To me, joinery is all the same. The only difference is the scale at which they are done. Look into some of the stand build threads here to get some idea. Also, google is a great tool for finding joinery examples to follow.
My middle daughter - about to turn 12 - has shown an interest in woodworking, so we're hoping to complete a few projects over summer. We can both learn together!
Maybe no stands, but I bet we'll turn out some daiza and lawn furniture.

You are right, the basic principle is the same and the joinery itself isn't the problem.
But how it is executed seems different? or the tools?

I've been looking at these violin planes, maybe they work better for the scale?

dsc_0031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom