Spring is EARLY...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had -1, -2c (~28-30F) overnight here. Many of my trees have broken buds & pretty much all trees that needed repotting, have been repotted.
They do not care.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
right there with ya. I’ve already reported multiple trees. Also doesn’t usually happen till the end of March early April. Fortunately, my spruce, New Mexico olive and euonymous or moving slower.
I’ll be in New Mexico at the end off the week. Has the collecting season passed or will I be able to collect safely? I’ll be near Taos. Looking for piñon pine or one seed juniper

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ll be in New Mexico at the end off the week. Has the collecting season passed or will I be able to collect safely? I’ll be near Taos. Looking for piñon pine or one seed juniper
Actually, for northern New Mexico your a tad early. Taos is at an elevation 8000 plus, so it’s still getting quite cold at night. Permits for collecting wild trees in NM are relatively easy to attain, but you are limited to a window, which I believe doesn’t start till May. both are available to collect up north but they can be difficult to collect, especially piñon pine. They both put out massive tap roots. If you can find a good area to collect them though it’s worth a shot. I may recommend also, looking for englemann spruce and Doug fir. Northern New Mexico is deceivingly mountainous and has a nice array sub alpine species. Google New Mexico State park wilding permits for a start.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actually, for northern New Mexico your a tad early. Taos is at an elevation 8000 plus, so it’s still getting quite cold at night. Permits for collecting wild trees in NM are relatively easy to attain, but you are limited to a window, which I believe doesn’t start till May. both are available to collect up north but they can be difficult to collect, especially piñon pine. They both put out massive tap roots. If you can find a good area to collect them though it’s worth a shot. I may recommend also, looking for englemann spruce and Doug fir. Northern New Mexico is deceivingly mountainous and has a nice array sub alpine species. Google New Mexico State park wilding permits for a start.
Thanks for the info. Trees are not the actual purpose of the trip but I figured I could’ve possibly get a tree or two while there. I live in Abilene so not sure how the spruce and fir will far down here. Maybe I can make a stop a little further south. Any recommended areas to check out? Thanks!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info. Trees are not the actual purpose of the trip but I figured I could’ve possibly get a tree or two while there. I live in Abilene so not sure how the spruce and fir will far down here. Maybe I can make a stop a little further south. Any recommended areas to check out? Thanks!
Honestly, the national park system and it’s availability of permits is the way to go. Carson, and Santa Fe National forest will be your nearest areas. BLM land could be an option also. I’m just not sure if permits are available just yet. Private land is a possibility, it just may be hard to get permission in the short time your there.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly, the national park system and it’s availability of permits is the way to go. Carson, and Santa Fe National forest will be your nearest areas. BLM land could be an option also. I’m just not sure if permits are available just yet. Private land is a possibility, it just may be hard to get permission in the short time your there.

Top Bottom