South Florida Summer and Bonsai

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I practiced bonsai for years in cooper city 33330. Went to a lot of nurseries and seen a few shows. In South Florida you will see junipers and JBP's that are grown and kept there, what I have noticed is they are usually not vigorous and healthy. To develop trees you need Vigorous and healthy. I've killed quite a few junipers trying several different soils, fertilizers, watering schedules. I gave up on them until I moved to NC. I'd stick with tropicals you'll enjoy the journey a lot more. But this is just one man experience.

I'm in Davie right next door to Cooper City and I also grew up in Apex close to Raleigh! Looking to move back soon but this time to the mountains.

I've found that shore junipers do well for me here and grow wonderfully. Parson's also, though not the best for bonsai. I had issues with the Junipers at first. Now I will say that most junipers (and other trees) are not meant for this climate. I don't fight nature, I grow what will do well for me. I stay away from any trees needing a dormant period. I love maples, one of my favorite trees but I will not keep them here. Not worth the struggle and making the trees struggle. And just not into refrigerating a tree too much work.

Species wise I have ilex, junipers,bald cypress, ficus, rosemarys, scheffleras, 1 maple, boxwoods, elms, bougainvilleas, hibiscus, pomegranate, royal poinciana, blueberry, and duranta.

I've been happy keeping them all here and they are all thriving.

Can't wait to move further north again though!

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in Davie right next door to Cooper City and I also grew up in Apex close to Raleigh! Looking to move back soon but this time to the mountains.
That's funny I drove from Charlotte to Raleigh to Fayetteville this week through Apex.

Species wise I have ilex, junipers,bald cypress, ficus, rosemarys, scheffleras, 1 maple, boxwoods, elms, bougainvilleas, hibiscus, pomegranate, royal poinciana, blueberry, and duranta.
I still have a bougy, nerifolia and a Green island I brought with me. brought more but they since have passed. I was not ready for the care they needed for winter. Lesson learned...Use native plants.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's funny I drove from Charlotte to Raleigh to Fayetteville this week through Apex.

I still have a bougy, nerifolia and a Green island I brought with me. brought more but they since have passed. I was not ready for the care they needed for winter. Lesson learned...Use native plants.

I agree so much less stress, I've tried the same before (keeping species really out of zone) but not worth the hassle to me

I miss NC , I've been to so many states across America and it's still my favorite!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And now we have Irma to worry about. :(

Right! hope it won't be bad for us, but even so I'm going today to get supplies etc, just in case. I hate the stores when things like this happen.

Praying for our folks in Texas

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
A buddy of mine just went to a Costco Up South, said they were already out of water.
I'm starting to clear out the garage to make room for my car.

Top Bottom