Some photos from the Belgian Bonsai Trophy - yesterday.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you see any big tasty trees in uk for less than 4 figures?

Not trying to be funny genuinely interested as I thought trophy trees were much cheaper than comparable in UK
Im just talking about tags on what was shown at lodders and plaza nurseries yeah, the trophy was great value as we've all stated throughout the thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Im just talking about tags on what was shown at lodders and plaza nurseries yeah, the trophy was great value as we've all stated throughout the thread
Ah I get you, I assumed their prices would have been similar to the trees they had at the trophy for sale, lodders did seem pricey but was also high standard trees.

Plaza had just about every price range covered!

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think material that is a few steps behind the "specimen" trees in show pots has got to be where it's at, so long as it has great "bones", you can add a ton of value through a few years of the right techniques and vision. Don't get me wrong though even raw-er material with the right foundational nebari, movement etc is hard to come by and not really sold in standard shops, at fairs like the trophy it happens to some extent, and then you can make personal connections with traders, hobbyists, growers and collectors. Most of us are here to make bonsai and not just look at them anyway.

* please note, ramblings of a hungover semi-beginner 😁

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lodders did seem pricey
This is indeed not my first recommendation when people are after deals. There are a lot of one-person bonsai dealers around where you can find unique materials as they do not do the container-level import, but rather buy and sell through connections. We have a few bigger traders that import. Lodder for a long time was the #1 importer. Much of their stock used to be in the 0-200E range, and often -in my view- overpriced. I understand the shop is now run in a different way than some 5-10 years ago. I should give it a chance and drop in again. Two shots from 2013, to imagine the scale of this place

Attachments

• bonsaiweb_20130309_21.jpg
    bonsaiweb_20130309_21.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 27
  • bonsaiweb_20130309_22.jpg
    bonsaiweb_20130309_22.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 27

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is indeed not my first recommendation when people are after deals. There are a lot of one-person bonsai dealers around where you can find unique materials as they do not do the container-level import, but rather buy and sell through connections. We have a few bigger traders that import. Lodder for a long time was the #1 importer. Much of their stock used to be in the 0-200E range, and often -in my view- overpriced. I understand the shop is now run in a different way than some 5-10 years ago. I should give it a chance and drop in again. Two shots from 2013, to imagine the scale of this place
Lodder is kind of odd price wise. On the one end they have an abundant collection of mass market stuff like Chinese Elm, Ficus and the like starting at €10. Great raw starter stuff, and you're not going find this material cheaper anywhere else. They also have some pretty neat affordable pots (<€10 for shohin size), more so than I've seen at Bonsai Plaza who don't seem to cover the low end of the market when it comes to pots.

But when it comes to refined trees in bonsai pots they're really quite expensive, especially their Shohin material can be a bit of a shock at times.

They do have a large selection of absolutely gorgegous show level trees . Most of these trees aren't even priced though, and I have seen tags go up to €3000.

Still worth the visit though if you're in the area. I live relatively close by ,so stop by once or twice year for some supplies, pots, substrate, wire, what not.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's still just about this big.

Top Bottom