Some collected goodies!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually had some nice weather today, and snapped some photos of some trees I collected this year. All of these are collected up in the krummholtz zone of the mountains, except the big fatty. The big fatty was scraped off of a boulder in a rocky chute. I appreciate anyone droppin some knowledge, or talkin s**t if that's your thing.20161119_122642.jpg 20161119_122714.jpg 20161119_122727.jpg 20161119_123250.jpg 20161119_123301.jpg 20161119_123314.jpg 20161119_123327.jpg 20161119_123343.jpg

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wilson, what species is this? It looks like the subalpine fir (abies lasiocarpa) we see in Alberta and BC. The trunks are smoother than our spruces, and the needles are flatter and more dull. I know some people use them as bonsai, but I'd love to see how it goes with these, as there is not a lot of information out there aside from there having trouble adjusting to lower altitudes and otherwise being similar to spruce. I'd like to know if you find this to be the case, if that's what they are. Now that I look at it "the fatty" looks like a very healthy spruce. With that trunk base and backbuding, you should be able to make something very impressive in a relatively short period. The firs should make very naturalistic forest/shohin/bunjin too, depending what your thing is. Long post I know. Nice stuff.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wilson, what species is this? It looks like the subalpine fir (abies lasiocarpa) we see in Alberta and BC. The trunks are smoother than our spruces, and the needles are flatter and more dull. I know some people use them as bonsai, but I'd love to see how it goes with these, as there is not a lot of information out there aside from there having trouble adjusting to lower altitudes and otherwise being similar to spruce. I'd like to know if you find this to be the case, if that's what they are. Now that I look at it "the fatty" looks like a very healthy spruce. With that trunk base and backbuding, you should be able to make something very impressive in a relatively short period. The firs should make very naturalistic forest/shohin/bunjin too, depending what your thing is. Long post I know. Nice stuff.
Good eye, the flat needle trees should be balsam fir. Here they grow on the tops of hills and mountains, and gain great character from their hardships. I am also reminded of the trees from the Rockies when I look at these. I had countless hours staring at trees like this when I lived up at the teahouse on lake Agnes.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool, we have balsam furs as well, but not as commonly or as high an altitude. I particularly like the second and last fir. I'd love to have that "fatty" spruce too.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the natural creation of that start-up forest group. Some added maturity and it will look even better. It has a visual balance and lean that attracts me. And, in its early stage, it has a good raw quality of struggling growth.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the natural creation of that start-up forest group. Some added maturity and it will look even better. It has a visual balance and lean that attracts me. And, in its early stage, it has a good raw quality of struggling growth.
Thanks for the positive feedback! I am enjoying watching this one take shape.

Top Bottom