snapped main branch rescue

Hey, @SouthernMaple, top experts in every endeavor make mistakes. What separates them from the also rans is that they know how to recover from their mistakes.

IMHO, it will matter little whether you prune today or next spring. But if you prune today, you will not know how this attempt to make the diving catch in the end-zone works out. I think you should stay with this until next spring.

Meanwhile, think about other ways to attain your aims. One way that crossed my mind is having a trunk with a branch on one side that I could lean over so that the branch points downward. Another thought is that a cascade doesn't have to directly arch from the soil over the edge of the pot. It could, instead, gently curve around and down which would mean the bends do not need to be so tight, yet the dive over the edge of the pot would appear to be right -- this would be better, IMHO, as the direct route is just 2-dimensional. Also, I've learned from breaking a lot of maple branches that they are more supple the younger they. They are also fairly flexible just after leaf drop. Experiment whenever you've got the opportunity.

not to be a douche but i can't seem to find any pictures of one online, I guess the consensus is to lop it off, tomorrow will be a rough day I guess but if I want to grow as a bonsai artist I am gonna have to put on my big boy britches and cut away and not think twice about it. To me that is one of the hardest parts of doing this hobby. Thank you guys for being patient with me. Ill post pics tomorrow post cut.

CascadeMaple.jpg CascadeMaple2.jpg CascadeMaple3.jpg

You can of course leave it now, and airlayer in spring?

Then, the young branch you can wire in place directly. Look at good cascades. The cascading branch should show some for of stuggle between forces pushing it down, and following the sunlight up: Bends, curves and twists adds interest.

Normally agree as well as support lots of bends. However.........sometimes just plain whimsical simple elegance can be just as inspiring. Have seen such under Michael Hagedorns hands as Vine Maples. Especially inspiring in Spring as first leaves just begin to show new life🥰.

Last edited:

Good ones on that link

IMO the trunk is too big and straight to be reliably bend into a convinicing cascade. Trees dont grow straight for 3-4 years then suddenly decide to be a cascade..
You might have better luck starting with a much smaller seedling that is more bendable.

Some start young and naturally hang downward. A seedling volunteer from somebody elses pot is one such in personal menagerie🤪.

Should I abstain from fertilizing a tree for a few weeks after such a drastic cut? Or continue with its regimen and give it as much sun as possible? I usually leave more on a cut like this in case of die back, did I not leave enough?

20200820_160034.jpg

20200820_160024.jpg

i continue fertilizing and do not look back. I would have removed the whole stub. Two healhty branches and all. This is safer as these joints tend to break if these is nothing in the middle (for a bit till the tree grows together, not sure how to say this?)

Back
Top Bottom