Size of pot

Reaction score
What type of dimensions do you look for when potting a bonsai.
Are there rules as far as depth of pot egual to height of tree and things of that nature?

Whoops written while Grimmy posted - ignore id need be

5thElement [ do you have a name ?]

there are some -guidelines- for when you start.

Tree trunk to height - stout tree 1" trunk to 5" of height or 1" trunk to 6" of height for a graceful tree.

It was also noted that when you keep to the above or exceed it [ say 1" to 3" ] the tree can carry with genetic limitations/fertiliser/ light intensity, many branchlets, and when mature can become very finely branched [ then there are also special cultivars ]

With the pot to tree, the trunk diameter usually equals the side of the pot.
I am also seeing the Japanese trying to emphasize their trunk/root, by using pots with sides smaller than the trunk diameter.

Front facing Length of pot is between 2/3 the height to 3/4 of the height.
As usual these are guidelines, and not rules cut in stone.
If it works visually, it works.

I don't know about the side length?

Also you have to think about the health of your tree, some trees consume tremendous amounts of water, and of course your soil mix is taken into account as well.
Good Day.
Anthony

Last edited:
Well...first, the question is, are you selecting a pot for a developing tree or a more finished(ready for a show) tree?

If its the first, a tree that is in its developing stages, you would consider what is best for the health and vigor of your tree...not what looks best! I realized that I was guilty of rushing trees into bonsai containers when realistically what I am trying to accomplish with the tree(develop trunk and/or branches) would be done faster and easier using a growing container. There are lots to choose from, boxes, mortar tubs, nursery containers...basically more space for root growth without over potting...I don't know of any specific guidelines.

Now, if your question is about a more finished bonsai...something you think is display ready.
The depth of the pot is equal to the diameter of the trunk base. The length of the pot is 2/3 of the height of the tree. But, these are only very general guidelines!!! There are also a hundred or more other variables including things like, species(azaleas=deeper, maples=shallower, etc..), style (cascade, sumo, group, etc..) and size (shohin) that are considered when trying to create a pleasing aesthetic between tree and pot....and of course everyone has their own taste and opinions:)

John

Well...first, the question is, are you selecting a pot for a developing tree or a more finished(ready for a show) tree?

If its the first, a tree that is in its developing stages, you would consider what is best for the health and vigor of your tree...not what looks best! I realized that I was guilty of rushing trees into bonsai containers when realistically what I am trying to accomplish with the tree(develop trunk and/or branches) would be done faster and easier using a growing container. There are lots to choose from, boxes, mortar tubs, nursery containers...basically more space for root growth without over potting...I don't know of any specific guidelines.

Now, if your question is about a more finished bonsai...something you think is display ready.
The depth of the pot is equal to the diameter of the trunk base. The length of the pot is 2/3 of the height of the tree. But, these are only very general guidelines!!! There are also a hundred or more other variables including things like, species(azaleas=deeper, maples=shallower, etc..), style (cascade, sumo, group, etc..) and size (shohin) that are considered when trying to create a pleasing aesthetic between tree and pot....and of course everyone has their own taste and opinions:)

John

A pot to develop a tree

We dont use the regular bonsai pots that you see "finished" trees in for developing trees.

We use what we call "training pots". Some people use large pond baskets, collanders, some use anderson flats (google it), some useuse wash basins with holes drilled inin the bottom, some build out of wood and wire. I use a meshed storage basket I get from target with holes drilled in the bottom and screening to keep the soil from falling out.

The main characteristics are fairly shallow (@4-5 inches) depending on the size of the tree, relative to length and width. The reasoning is that you dont want to confine to roots as much as a finished tree because you are still growing/developing it. Also you might not have a small enough root mass yet so the training pot lets you work on developing more fine/lateral root growth while working on minimizing depth of the root mass over time. Of course this can differ with things like cascade trees, but thats the idea.

The main thing is you want to make sure you have good drainage and configuration for root mass development.

Last edited:
Common mistake I see on collected trees is leaving the main roots too long. They fit in the training pot but not the actual bonsai pot.

I understand (and do) leaving long roots when needed but proper reduction should be the priority once it is possible. The goal is to just trim the fine roots later (if possible)...not do a major chop as you move it to the bonsai pot.

As to the ratio...the most common is depth equal to trunk thickness, width is about 4 times the trunk thickness. This changes depending on style. Cascade, literati, wider than tall trees, etc. will have a different "guideline". For shows, it seems the shallower the better (on most, but not always). Do note that some of them move the tree to those pots only for the show, then repot again (to deeper and bigger pot) after.

As to the ratio...the most common is depth equal to trunk thickness, width is about 4 times the trunk thickness. This changes depending on style. Cascade, literati, wider than tall trees, etc. will have a different "guideline". For shows, it seems the shallower the better (on most, but not always). Do note that some of them move the tree to those pots only for the show, then repot again (to deeper and bigger pot) after.

This is for a "finished" tree.

The OP wants to know about a "pot to develop a tree" so info on training pots would be useful for him right now.

What do you use for training pots Dario?

Last edited:
This is for a "finished" tree.

The OP wants to know about a "pot to develop a tree" so info on training pots would be useful for him right now.

What do you use for training pots Dario?

Thanks. Yes and as I alluded to...keeping in mind the final size helps. You can use any size training pot...even the ground actually but having a plan ahead of time helps a lot.

Me, I mostly use dish pans ($1.98 at Walmart). Sometimes bussing tubs, oversized pots that I chop, collanders, old containers, bulb pans, regular pots, oil pans, or whatever I can find that will work. It really depends on the stage of the tree and it's size. It ranges from 22" down to 3" inch styrofoam cups. ;)

Me, I mostly use dish pans ($1.98 at Walmart). Sometimes bussing tubs...

I've seen you talk about the $2 Wal*mart pots a lot reading old posts in the forums. I made a special run to Wal*mart tonight and bought the last 3 black 18 quart ones. I wish they had some in the ~10 quart size but these are by far the best thing I've found locally this time of year. All the big box stores replace all their pots with holiday stuff and I've been reduced to putting mine in the only thing they didn't get rid of, hanging pot baskets. While those work, at 8 quarts, they aren't big enough.

Thanks for the advice!

Does the 5th element have a name ? Leeloo of course.

ed

I've seen you talk about the $2 Wal*mart pots a lot reading old posts in the forums. I made a special run to Wal*mart tonight and bought the last 3 black 18 quart ones. I wish they had some in the ~10 quart size but these are by far the best thing I've found locally this time of year. All the big box stores replace all their pots with holiday stuff and I've been reduced to putting mine in the only thing they didn't get rid of, hanging pot baskets. While those work, at 8 quarts, they aren't big enough.

Thanks for the advice!
Welcome. :) I use mostly the 12 quart but have a few of the 18 qt as well.
If you haven't seen the thread yet, I have one where most of them are shown. http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?12144-My-packed-yard-(WARNING-Picture-heavy)
I've added a few more since that thread though. :D

Thanks for the advice!

First correct use of the word I have seen here in months.

People here still keep spelling it "advise" when they really mean advice.

Thank you!

Pet stores give away, or sell very cheaply, the styrofoam boxes that their fish are shipped in. about 24" x 18" they are big enough for most any tree. I've gotten quite a few in Mobile for .75 to 1.00 each. Very sturdy, holes are very easy to poke in them, and if you want to cut them down its just as easy. Roots stay insulated too. I suppose the white is kind of ugly, but I've never worried much about that. They are training pots after all. They grow algae after awhile. You could always spray paint them brown, I guess.

Libby

Pet stores give away, or sell very cheaply, the styrofoam boxes that their fish are shipped in. I suppose the white is kind of ugly, but I've never worried much about that. They are training pots after all. They grow algae after awhile. You could always spray paint them brown, I guess.

Libby

I wouldn't spray paint this kind of foam as the chemicals in the paint react with the foam and cause it to melt which makes it look even uglier and will degrade the structural integrity.

Back
Top Bottom