Shrub Identification help

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw this at nursery in El Paso. Leaflets quite small. 1/4"x1/8". Opposite leaflet pattern and edges are smooth. At terminal end there is always a single leaflet. Nursery said it was called Dahlia. Leaves don't look like Dahlia to me?

Attachments

• 20230427_140119.jpg
    20230427_140119.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230427_140135.jpg
    20230427_140135.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 44
Does not look like dahlia to me either.
With those leaflets most likely a member of fabiacea - legumes, many of which have pea shaped flowers.

I don't know the name from my ancient childhood but there was a plant with leaflets like this. When you touched them they folded together.

It is probably a Dalea, easily mispronounced Dahlia.
Thanks Michael. With your Dalea ID I was able to find it. Dalea frutescens, Black Dalea. Trunks are very interesting. Young plants have normal trunks. When older (2" diameter) they split as if a trunk splitter was used on them. Out of 30 at nursery everyone with a larger trunk had split naturally. Makes them look quite old.

Thanks Michael. With your Dalea ID I was able to find it. Dalea frutescens, Black Dalea. Trunks are very interesting. Young plants have normal trunks. When older (2" diameter) they split as if a trunk splitter was used on them. Out of 30 at nursery everyone with a larger trunk had split naturally. Makes them look quite old.
Michael. Scratch the last part of that reply. This Dalea has a normal shrubby type trunk. Was thinking of another interesting shrub that does show the split trunk. Chaparral Sage. Age is a cruel master :)

Glad I could help! It is popular in native plant landscapes in south Texas, we don't see it much here in Dallas. I am very interested to see you do with it as bonsai.

This is the Dalea. Was root bound in a 5 gallon nursery container. Just teased and trimmed outside roots and added better draining substrate around the root ball. Cleaned out dead branches. Placed in garage for awhile til acclimized.

Attachments

• 20230428_125337.jpg
    20230428_125337.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom