Should I dig up my boxwood?

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
If I may add, do not, I repeat do not remove any of the foliage down low. Save it for when you get it to the height you want once it's in a pot. Boxwood never seem to back bud where you want them to. One of the four I have is going to require grafting to get any foliage down low. I'm just waiting for some of the surrounding new branches to get a little longer before I do some approach grafting.
Understood. Wasn't planning on it.

So, my plan would then be to cut this back substantially, leaving plenty of trunk length and low branches to allow for future design and back budding (hopefully). I would then dig it up ensuring that I start my dig at least 16" away from the trunk. I believe the rule for digging is 8x the diameter of the trunk, but that would be something like 32" and I don't have that kind of room for such a large diameter root ball. I will then repot in a standard bonsai substrate, probably in a wooden box made up of 2x6's.

Sound plan?

Reactions: Vin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At 7:17 and this is great Colin.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Understood. Wasn't planning on it.

So, my plan would then be to cut this back substantially, leaving plenty of trunk length and low branches to allow for future design and back budding (hopefully). I would then dig it up ensuring that I start my dig at least 16" away from the trunk. I believe the rule for digging is 8x the diameter of the trunk, but that would be something like 32" and I don't have that kind of room for such a large diameter root ball. I will then repot in a standard bonsai substrate, probably in a wooden box made up of 2x6's.

Sound plan?
What Larry said in the video Colin posted about the nebari should be taken into account. So, maybe start at 16" and when you discover the nebari adjust it down accordingly. It's like a Cracker Jack, until you get to the prize it's just a guessing game.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great looking trunk, flare at the base.
Nice strong looking thing, hope the strength is continued to be conveyed in its future design.
Good luck with how this goes, im curious to see it in the future.

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
What Larry said in the video Colin posted about the nebari should be taken into account. So, maybe start at 16" and when you discover the nebari adjust it down accordingly. It's like a Cracker Jack, until you get to the prize it's just a guessing game.

Question for you or anyone, I want to go ahead and have a grow box made. Is it possible to know the size of the grow box I should make without having dug the tree? I was thinking 2'x 2' would be safe. This way, I can dig, root prune and put it straight in the box.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Question for you or anyone, I want to go ahead and have a grow box made. Is it possible to know the size of the grow box I should make without having dug the tree? I was thinking 2'x 2' would be safe. This way, I can dig, root prune and put it straight in the box.
Based on the tree size 2' x 2' would seem to be about right. The issue I think you're going to have is the depth. I would have a large nursery pot standing by just in case. I'm going to be honest with you (others may disagree), putting a Boxwood of that size in a grow box isn't going to accomplish much. They grow/bulk up really slow and all this tree needs is for the soil to be cleaned from the roots and put in a pot with bonsai soil so you can start the root reduction process. Of all the boxwoods I've collected none went into a grow box and they all are doing fine. The only one I've ever lost was a large one I purchased from a nursery that I tried to reduce to quickly without balancing the roots. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/in-memoriam-for-those-trees-we-lost-in-2014.18178/#post-244962

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Based on the tree size 2' x 2' would seem to be about right. The issue I think you're going to have is the depth. I would have a large nursery pot standing by just in case. I'm going to be honest with you (others may disagree), putting a Boxwood of that size in a grow box isn't going to accomplish much. They grow/bulk up really slow and all this tree needs is for the soil to be cleaned from the roots and put in a pot with bonsai soil so you can start the root reduction process. Of all the boxwoods I've collected none went into a grow box and they all are doing fine. The only one I've ever lost was a large one I purchased from a nursery that I tried to reduce to quickly without balancing the roots. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/in-memoriam-for-those-trees-we-lost-in-2014.18178/#post-244962
I've got a 14x10x4 training pot...should I use that?

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd put it into something like a 14" or 16" round plastic color pot. Rake back the soil until you see the nebari and remove any roots above that. That semi-large root on the right might be way above the good nebari. There's nothing wrong with doing a hard prune while it's in the ground, but this is a great time of year to pot it up and it'll do just fine. You can take it off a few bits at a time, or you can hard prune the hell out of it, and you'll be fine either way, but if you prune a branch down below the last bit of foliage, and you leave plenty of other foliage growing elsewhere, you'll probably lose that branch. In other words, leave some foliage below each cut, unless you're taking all the foliage off like Larry does in the video Colin posted, otherwise the branches with foliage left will take off, and the ones without foliage will wither away. These guys will backbud like crazy if you prune them really hard this time of year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a 14x10x4 training pot...should I use that?

IMO....

You either want to have a few box sizes, or just put it straight back in the ground.

I sure wouldn't hack the shit out of it to somehow get it in a predetermined pot size.

That Larry seems quite studied in the subject.

I been diggin at a tiny box all day....

I'm positive this...
semi-large root on the right might be way above the good nebari.

Is absolutely true....
You can see the taper continue down.

And if the roots you find lower are in any proportion to the ones I'm finding....

I highly doubt a 16" pot will be big enough.

Rule number one.....

Is still....

Be prepared!

Sorce

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'd put it into something like a 14" or 16" round plastic color pot. Rake back the soil until you see the nebari and remove any roots above that. That semi-large root on the right might be way above the good nebari. There's nothing wrong with doing a hard prune while it's in the ground, but this is a great time of year to pot it up and it'll do just fine. You can take it off a few bits at a time, or you can hard prune the hell out of it, and you'll be fine either way, but if you prune a branch down below the last bit of foliage, and you leave plenty of other foliage growing elsewhere, you'll probably lose that branch. In other words, leave some foliage below each cut, unless you're taking all the foliage off like Larry does in the video Colin posted, otherwise the branches with foliage left will take off, and the ones without foliage will wither away. These guys will backbud like crazy if you prune them really hard this time of year.
Like your standard garden pot from a garden center?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have wood, so maybe I'll just make a 16 x 16" box 6" deep.
That's better but I'd still have a Plan B. You just don't know what's going to come out of the ground and it's much better to over pot and make corrections next year than to under pot and have the tree struggle or die. I'm talking about a 15 gallon nursery pot.

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's better but I'd still have a Plan B. You just don't know what's going to come out of the ground and it's much better to over pot and make corrections next year than to under pot and have the tree struggle or die. I'm talking about a 15 gallon nursery pot.
oooh, I was thinking by something earlier you had said that I need something shallow to start to develop the root reduction process. So, I was thinking I need something more shallow. I can absolutely plant this thing in a standard grow pot those are cheap.

So, I'll have a grow pot on hand (I am assuming this is in case the nebari is much deeper than expected) and I will also make this 16x16x6" box. If the good nebari is shallow, I can use the the box, if it is much deeper I'll use the pot. Is this correct?

PS. wanted to thank you and other for help and suggestions. I have hardly any supplies on hand, so I want to make sure I get everything I need before I dig.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
oooh, I was thinking by something earlier you had said that I need something shallow to start to develop the root reduction process. So, I was thinking I need something more shallow. I can absolutely plant this thing in a standard grow pot those are cheap.

So, I'll have a grow pot on hand (I am assuming this is in case the nebari is much deeper than expected) and I will also make this 16x16x6" box. If the good nebari is shallow, I can use the the box, if it is much deeper I'll use the pot. Is this correct?
That is all correct and perfectly explained. I don't believe I said anything earlier about about needing something shallow but if I did I apologize.

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
That is all correct and perfectly explained. I don't believe I said anything earlier about about needing something shallow but if I did I apologize.
no you didn't, my misinterpretation. will post back when she's out of the ground!

Top Bottom