Shohin Cork Bark

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This small cork bark started out by ripsgreentree. It was donated to a club raffle due to how ugly it was. I did some pruning and set it aside since all the branches were cut off.

Wired it today, now it has a start. Trunk is about 1.25" across at the waist. I have no idea what is beneath the soil but I'll bet its big! (the root ball that is)
About 5 inches tall right now. Will probably finish at around sixish.

Attachments

• DSC_00030002.JPG
    DSC_00030002.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC_00040003.JPG
    DSC_00040003.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 297
There is a very elegant shape to the trunk. I think the challenge will be in keeping the branches in correct proportion ot the trunk.

Nice tree Al. I would say thats a small elm.

This tree is beautiful. I hate to call it cute, so I'll avoid it ;) But this is a very nice tree. Do you have any ''before'' shots?

This tree is beautiful. I hate to call it cute, so I'll avoid it ;) But this is a very nice tree. Do you have any ''before'' shots?

I don't have a before before shot, but I did find one after I cut it back. I have painted on the branching and foliage sort of like it was before I pruned it back hard. The crown was about 20 inches around. the branches off the trunk were horrible, and it looked like raffle material.

I got one of the first tickets pulled from the hat and I picked this up. Everyone laughed at me for taking the crap tree.

Another year or two and this will be a keeper.

That very tiny little green thing coming out of that branch stub on the right is what made the first branch.

90 days....not bad.

Al

Attachments

• painted.jpg
    painted.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_00050001.JPG
    DSC_00050001.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_00030002.JPG
    DSC_00030002.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 188
I got one of the first tickets pulled from the hat and I picked this up. Everyone laughed at me for taking the crap tree.

Hi Al, nice tree. You were probably laughed at because people tend to look at the material as a whole, rather than the first few inches off the base like they should, as most of the branches and the trunk usually end up being removed anyway. I know that it's taken me a bit of time to figure this out myself (and am still working on it), but hopefully others seeing what you've accomplished with a "crap tree" will get a better understanding of how to select material.

You wouldn't happen to still have this tree would you Al?
I don't have many trees that are smaller but I think I'll start a few in this direction next year.

You wouldn't happen to still have this tree would you Al?
I don't have many trees that are smaller but I think I'll start a few in this direction next year.
This baby hit the scrap pile. It was a great tree, taken from the top of a larger tree. I won this in a club raffle and had it for a year or so. On death I inspected and it had a few roots but nothing to speak of. I suspect not enough to keep it strong. Too bad it was a great little trunk. This was a ripsgreentree raffle offering which came from Muranaka. I have no idea who did the layer, Glenn has many cork barks. I have the "Godzilla" of cork barks to prune soon. Time to actually work on it.

DSC_00840084.JPG

That's too bad. It was a very cool little tree.
I also thought it was also a good example of the hogarth curve you brought up earlier. And that it also came from the same place as the maple you posted in the $59.00 thread.
Correct?

This baby hit the scrap pile. It was a great tree, taken from the top of a larger tree. I won this in a club raffle and had it for a year or so. On death I inspected and it had a few roots but nothing to speak of. I suspect not enough to keep it strong. Too bad it was a great little trunk. This was a ripsgreentree raffle offering which came from Muranaka. I have no idea who did the layer, Glenn has many cork barks. I have the "Godzilla" of cork barks to prune soon. Time to actually work on it.

View attachment 88373

Wrong thread!

Sorce

It even kind of looks like Godzilla. I think it's the bark.
Man,its a fat monster! And if it weren't for the stubs I'd think you had a German shepherd style it.

That's too bad. It was a very cool little tree.
I also thought it was also a good example of the hogarth curve you brought up earlier. And that it also came from the same place as the maple you posted in the $59.00 thread.
Correct?
Yes but I don't know which part. The small tree or the big tree that Glenn may have layered it off of.

It even kind of looks like Godzilla. I think it's the bark.
Man,its a fat monster! And if it weren't for the stubs I'd think you had a German shepherd style it.
Its never had any work done to it. Its just the way I dug it out of the ground. Except for the branches I sawed off.

DSC_00820082.JPG

Some wicked bark.
Do you know the age?

Back
Top Bottom