Shimpaku with split top

Shamino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I potted this Shimpaku about 20-25 years ago in a workshop with Guy Guidry at Bonsai West in Littleton MA. Over the years, it has been "bowing" more and more, then a freak wind blew it off its stand and cracked the top, lowering the front even more than it was. The first photo (S4) is a front view of the tree from about 5 years ago. Photo #2 (S2) shows a side view (showing the excessive "bow"). Photo #3 (S1)shows the tree from the front. Photo #4 (S3) shows the cracked top. When the top cracked, I secured it back as far as I could and it's grown that way for a couple of years. The problem for my eye is that the excessive "bow" in the top tends to hide the trunk more than I'd like. Anyone have any suggestions about styling this tree in some way to make more of the trunk visible from the front?

Attachments

• S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 103
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 101
  • S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 104
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 109
Excessive lean to the front could probably be corrected simply by repotting the tree more upright. Currently the lower trunk is nearly vertical but would look better if it emerged going back more than current and that would also lift the apex and show the front of the trunk better. I suspect it has slowly tilted forward over time, probably helped by the excess front growth.

Agree with @bwaynef on a good reduction prune for a start. It is not possible to restyle a juniper through internet photos and do any sort of justice, especially when the foliage obscures branch placement and directions.

The crack is not really a problem for juniper. It should survive and gradually heal provided the branches are not too heavy. Healing could be encouraged by binding the split area with grafting tape or similar.

Excessive lean to the front could probably be corrected simply by repotting the tree more upright. Currently the lower trunk is nearly vertical but would look better if it emerged going back more than current and that would also lift the apex and show the front of the trunk better. I suspect it has slowly tilted forward over time, probably helped by the excess front growth.

Agree with @bwaynef on a good reduction prune for a start. It is not possible to restyle a juniper through internet photos and do any sort of justice, especially when the foliage obscures branch placement and directions.

The crack is not really a problem for juniper. It should survive and gradually heal provided the branches are not too heavy. Healing could be encouraged by binding the split area with grafting tape or similar.
Good advice...thank you. I had thought of repotting/tilting it back but I wasn't sure about the trunk moving toward the back of the pot (when viewed from the side). Apparently that's an acceptable style?

Wait, had this not been repotted in 25 years?

Anyway, I agree, repot it and tilt the tree back so the apex is only slightly forward of the base. The trunk moving back and the coming forward again is fine. If it came toward and then away in a pigeon breast, then no.

Wait, had this not been repotted in 25 years?

Anyway, I agree, repot it and tilt the tree back so the apex is only slightly forward of the base. The trunk moving back and the coming forward again is fine. If it came toward and then away in a pigeon breast, then no.
No, it's been repotted regularly at 3-5 years so the forward tilt was occurring naturally...but the break in the apex made the issue worse. As I repotted over the years I tried keeping the base of the trunk vertical because I didn't think a tilt back at the base was stylishly correct. My plan now is to do some pruning as suggested above, then repot in the spring to reposition the base of the trunk so that the apex raises and the trunk becomes more visible. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom