Seiju Elm Shohin

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This weekend at the NJ "Art of Bonsai" show, I met a vendor that I had never seen before. He had this great pre-bonsai Seiju with a 2 inch wide trunk, taper, cool bark, and nice movement. Nice start to a shohin Seiju elm.
1000017361.jpg1000017468.jpg

The red pot was not high fired, so I slip potted it into this 3D printed pot. I will plant the whole thing in the ground and let it develop over the next few seasons before I layer it off of this inverted base.
20240723_201632.jpg

I am visualizing something similar to this, but with a little more movement in the main trunk.
1000017463.jpg1000017462.jpg

How did you convince to undo the NFS portion of the tree? 😂
I have convinced one person to sell a tree that was NFS, but not this time. 🤣

I put that sign on it, so if I was away from my booth, no one bought it. I could see the person next to me trying to make me suprise bucks! 😅

The reverse taper doesn't bother you at all?

It does, but I am letting it ground grow before ground layering. Elms are super easy to air layer!
And sometimes you have to grab the types of trees you've been looking for. I like cork bark anything & if I'm able to find one I'm interested. Nice find & Good luck. :)

Nice little tree, but I'm ambivalent about this cultivar. It is hard to keep up with. They tend to push new growth in every little crack in the corky bark. That bark can also hide bad things, like rot. Have a good friend who had a larger seiju that drove him mad with pruning and keeping up with it.

That's a nice little Seiju, I would ground layer at an angle like I have seen @Smoke suggest on a few tridents and often done on the Japanese websites. Taking advantage of the widest portion of the base. That would be an amazing little shohin. Also, don't be fooled by the dwarf characteristics of Seiju's. I can get over 6' of extensions yearly on mine.

1721823500788.png

March 2022 when I moved it into a Rootpouch and my above ground bed.
1721823677206.png

December 2022 - 5' extensions - Texas heat does help, but this year growing inside a covered patio with only 3-4 hours of sun at the end of the day I already have a 3' leader after being chopped last November.
1721823766387.png

Nice little tree, but I'm ambivalent about this cultivar. It is hard to keep up with. They tend to push new growth in every little crack in the corky bark. That bark can also hide bad things, like rot. Have a good friend who had a larger seiju that drove him mad with pruning and keeping up with it.
Good thing the tree is less than 8 inches tall, and easier to keep up with!

Good thing the tree is less than 8 inches tall, and easier to keep up with!
You'd think that. But if you get the kind of growth like the big one did, it might be even harder to keep up with it. Shoots grew from inside cracked bark plates, sometimes winding up an into other bark plates, etc. They emerged everywhere at odd angles, etc. Removing those shoots tended to pull bark off. The deeper the bark fissures, the bigger the problem. The new shoots emerge from between unbarked areas between the plates...Just something to keep an eye on.

Let me save you trouble by buying it off you bro...Friends dont let friends suffer 😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom