Seedling mikawa yatsubusa in stock again at mr maple!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just giving a heads up, mr maple has non grafted mikawa yatsubusa seedlings back in stock.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been buying their recent conifer uploads as they're from Buchholz Nursery that MrMaple recently purchased.
I have several trees from mr maple. Most are for landscape trees or mother trees eventually because they are grafted. Trees on their own roots from them are fairly rare, they grow these mikawa from seed in bulk batches looking for unique trees to develop new cultivars from. I bought one of these in 2021 and the quality of the tree was outstanding. Plus this new one, being on its own roots also, will be perfect to mess around with for bonsai.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can confirm no grafts.

Not sure if the Yatsubusa characteristics are strong with this one or not. Feels like the leaves and internodes could be smaller. But it’s young and obviously not received any training.

For $40, I think it’s a good deal. Shipped very quickly and well boxed.

Would recommend. IMG_6188.jpegIMG_6190.jpegIMG_6191.jpegIMG_6193.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just giving a heads up, mr maple has non grafted mikawa yatsubusa seedlings back in stock.
I know I am being anal about this, but note how even THEY label these trees. They aren't Mikawa Yatsubusa seedlings. They are seedlings from a Mikawa Yatsubusa. In other words, they are green Japanese maple seedlings which may (or may not) carry some of the characteristics of a Mikawa Yatsubusa.

Last edited:

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Air layering is the only way to get a true genetic replication.

Correction, rooted cuttings will also give you a replication of the mother plant.

Thanks

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know I am being anal about this, but note how even THEY label these trees. They aren't Mikawa Yatsubusa seedlings. They are seedlings from a Mikawa Yatsubusa. In other words, they are green Japanese maple seedlings which may (or may not) carry some of the characteristics of a Mikawa Yatsubusa.
I do indeed understand this, they are seedlings from a mikawa yatsubusa. These do indeed have the mikawa traits, tight internodes and tightly layered foliage but they are not genetically the “mikawa yatsubusa” cultivar. You are correct in calling it out though. I also believe that is why they label them as seedlings because anyone who knows how tree genetics works, like most of us, will know the difference. However, it is misleading to the general public who just sees the name and buys it thinking it is the true cultivar. I am ok buying a green maple that is a seedling from a mikawa yatsubusa because I’m looking for the tight internodes and tight foliage. 😉

Last edited:

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do indeed understand this, they are seedlings from a mikawa yatsubusa. These do indeed have the mikawa traits, tight internodes and tightly layered foliage but they are not genetically the “mikawa yatsubusa” cultivar. You are correct in calling it out though. I also believe that is why they label them as seedlings because anyone who knows how tree genetics works, like most of us, will know the difference. However, it is misleading to the general public who just sees the name and buys it thinking it is the true cultivar. I am ok buying a green maple that is a seedling from a mikawa yatsubusa because I’m looking for the tight internodes and tight foliage. 😉
FWIW they are very open about it in their videos. I don’t get the sense they are trying to pull one over on us. I fully understand what I’m purchasing.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW they are very open about it in their videos. I don’t get the sense they are trying to pull one over on us. I fully understand what I’m purchasing.
Absolutely. I was pointing out how they have it labeled on their plant tags. "Seedling from Mikawa Yatsubusa".

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@19Mateo83 those are awesome! Not sure if they are sold out yet but I am considering getting one. Only I already have too many maples lol. I personally love the fact they contain different genetics from the cultivar. The leaves look smaller.

Are you going to try some cuttings? Would be interesting how they root. Is this going to be a progression thread of this tree? Will be interesting to see how the tree ages.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@19Mateo83 those are awesome! Not sure if they are sold out yet but I am considering getting one. Only I already have too many maples lol. I personally love the fact they contain different genetics from the cultivar. The leaves look smaller.

Are you going to try some cuttings? Would be interesting how they root. Is this going to be a progression thread of this tree? Will be interesting to see how the tree ages.
I bought one of these seedlings two years ago and I was thinking about using it for bonsai and replacing it with the new one.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just saw a beautiful Mikawa (1" trunk with good primaries) for $40, but its grafted.
It can easily be air layered though.
Does anybody know how well the Mikawa layers?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just saw a beautiful Mikawa (1" trunk with good primaries) for $40, but its grafted.
I have heard they root very easily.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen mixed reports on that, currently I have one airlayering that I started last year so can report back when spring starts properly! It is not filling the pot like crazy so far though, seems a bit slow

Top Bottom