Seaweed concentrate for plant transplanting shock

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

So repotting season here in the southern hemisphere, with that comes all the repotting questions...so..
Anyone ever used any form of seaweed concentrate/extract for repotting, it's is said to lesson the shock plants experience while transplanting, it's suggested to be used weekly during the time period which you are normally advices not to use fertalizers, so trying to get peoples experience with it, as well as what the correct way is to use it if they've had positive experiences

I've run some trials, using seaweed liquid on some trees and not on others. I could not see any difference between the 2 lots.
Also tried using it on collected trees. Again, no noticeable difference between trees that got some and those that did not.
My take is that it does not hurt but also doesn't make any significant difference.

I've run some trials, using seaweed liquid on some trees and not on others. I could not see any difference between the 2 lots.
Also tried using it on collected trees. Again, no noticeable difference between trees that got some and those that did not.
My take is that it does not hurt but also doesn't make any significant difference.
See this is one of my concerns, as its not cheap by any means.
I tried it a year or 2 ago, as it was suggested by some local peeps, but i saw no difference either. Since then it's been indicated that i "used it incorrectly", so tempted to give it another try, but this time round i'm asking the experienced guys

I tried it a year or 2 ago, as it was suggested by some local peeps, but i saw no difference either. Since then it's been indicated that i "used it incorrectly", so tempted to give it another try, but this time round i'm asking the experienced guys
Let us all know if you see any differences with the new, 'correct' usage.
You can also let us know what we've been doing wrong too.

It doesn't hurt to add seaweed extract, but you are better off using a root stimulator. Here in the US, we have ones made from Ferti-lome or Bonide. You would use it same way with seaweed extract, diluted with water and water into the trees.

It doesn't hurt to add seaweed extract, but you are better off using a root stimulator. Here in the US, we have ones made from Ferti-lome or Bonide. You would use it same way with seaweed extract, diluted with water and water into the trees.
Are you saying to apply Fertilome or Bonide immediately after repotting? I’ve always heard that it’s best not to do anything other than water for 30-60 days.

Are you saying to apply Fertilome or Bonide immediately after repotting? I’ve always heard that it’s best not to do anything other than water for 30-60 days.
After repotting, you can use a Fertilome or Bonide root simulator. Ferilome is the brand, and its version is called Fertilome Root Simulator. Bonide's version is called Root & Grow. These are branded names, but you can use any root simulator with low Indol-3-Butyric Acid to stimulate root growth. I put this into the fertilizer injector, and it mist into my greenhouse.

After repotting, you can use a Fertilome or Bonide root simulator. Ferilome is the brand, and its version is called Fertilome Root Simulator. Bonide's version is called Root & Grow. These are branded names, but you can use any root simulator with low Indol-3-Butyric Acid to stimulate root growth. I put this into the fertilizer injector, and it mist into my greenhouse.
Out of interest, the trees that you use this on, are they relatively young material or older material? And also with taking this approach, do you tend to get much thicker root growth?

The reason for the the above questions is because I was chatting to someone recently regarding this and they were of the opinion that you get much thicker root growth quicker which isn't preferred for bonsai by using these kind of chemicals.

I use it for repotting, cuttings, and seedlings. This is not used for established trees but where you want to grow roots.

IBA is a rooting hormone (synthetic auxin),

I believe it is not good to add rooting hormone to plants with roots.

Even tiny root hairs as it can do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom