scotch vs japanese white pine

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What is the point of a tile so deep. Seems pointless as a means to develop nebari or limit dept of roots to match bonsai pots because most bonsai pots will be less than 5" deep?
You've also noted that Scots pine handles root pruning really well. In my experience root pruning is a much more precise and reliable tool to develop better nebari than tiles but tiles seem to be on everyone's agenda. Why not just do good root pruning before planting then again each time you dig?
I'm doing both tiles and root cutting. The point is that I can't be around to water every day, not even every week. With our summers having months(!) of droughts each year, I want to have a buffer of soil.
Recently I bought a couple potted seedlings and their taproot was as fat as the trunk and almost as long.
I've also put pond baskets in the ground for easy digging. Just trying all methods I think are feasible.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
so does anybody have any information on why Adair Martin has not been posting?
It's just over 5 months since he last signed in.
Adair is fine, as are his trees. He and I converse at least once a week. Unfortunately, he doesn’t really visit this place frequently anymore… It’s just not as interesting to him I guess.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Adair is fine, as are his trees. He and I converse at least once a week. Unfortunately, he doesn’t really visit this place frequently anymore… It’s just not as interesting to him I guess.
That's great that he's doing ok.
You tell that rascal if you would please, that he is missed around here. I'm having a suspected fungal issue that has attacked all my conifers except juniper mostly, including the JWP he helped me with some, at my 1st workshop down there.
I have one JWP much younger that appears unscathed.
This all started after receiving 3 JWP seedlings last year, 2 of which died. The 3rd one is half dead.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adair is fine, as are his trees. He and I converse at least once a week.
You are so lucky to have him at converse distance!

-> I find Scots pine are still a lot more sensitive to rootwork than say, junipers, and all deciduous I have worked on
-> JWP hate heat, and especially dry heat. This is reduced when grafted on black pine. Last year during the heatwave that lasted sever weeks and no rain for months very old specimen JWP were suffering and placed in cool dark places. to minimize moisture loss.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You'd have to ask him to be 100% sure... but... I suspect it's a combination of the relative lack of content here that interests him- read that as hardly any really high level new trees posted here anymore- and the fact that he's probably burned out on the whole internet bonsai scene. Truthfully, most of the more experienced members here from when I joined rarely post now, and when they do, it's likely to just update a progression thread they started a while ago.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You'd have to ask him to be 100% sure... but... I suspect it's a combination of the relative lack of content here that interests him- read that as hardly any really high level new trees posted here anymore- and the fact that he's probably burned out on the whole internet bonsai scene. Truthfully, most of the more experienced members here from when I joined rarely post now, and when they do, it's likely to just update a progression thread they started a while ago.
Oh , well I mean you gotta start somewhere. As someone trying to elevate my skills and bonsai , I kinda not really take offense to that. And with limited budget too , working full time and studying at a bonsai studio. There are some of us that are very dedicated to making higher material.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh , well I mean you gotta start somewhere. As someone trying to elevate my skills and bonsai , I kinda not really take offense to that. And with limited budget too , working full time and studying at a bonsai studio. There are some of us that are very dedicated to making higher material.
You shouldn't take offense. I'm simply stating what I perceive to be the main reason seasoned members here stop posting... Adair isn't the first to lose interest in posting on line. Many who've been doing bonsai and posting about it for a long time eventually lose interest in posting here. I joined here in '07', and I'm one of only a handful of members from that time who still visit the site, never mind regularly contribute. Since joining, my tastes in trees has changed dramatically and most of the recent threads here don't really interest me now like they might have a decade ago. Oh yeah... I'm 16 years older now and that's a lot of water under the bridge at this point- experience in the hobby, family, jobs, etc.,. Shoot... in that time, I've moved three times, changed jobs 5 or 6 times, had my mother in law move in with me, watched my parents grow old and infirm, raised 2 kids who will hopefully graduate from college in the next year, have had numerous injuries- several that required surgery and have absolutely impacted my physical abilities, etc. Ultimately, people change as does their enthusiasm for participating in different activities. Fwiw, I sure don't post like I used to... it is what it is.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You shouldn't take offense. I'm simply stating what I perceive to be the main reason seasoned members here stop posting... Adair isn't the first to lose interest in posting on line. Many who've been doing bonsai and posting about it for a long time eventually lose interest in posting here. I joined here in '07', and I'm one of only a handful of members from that time who still visit the site, never mind regularly contribute. Since joining, my tastes in trees has changed dramatically and most of the recent threads here don't really interest me now like they might have a decade ago. Oh yeah... I'm 16 years older now and that's a lot of water under the bridge at this point- experience in the hobby, family, jobs, etc.,. Shoot... in that time, I've moved three times, changed jobs 5 or 6 times, had my mother in law move in with me, watched my parents grow old and infirm, raised 2 kids who will hopefully graduate from college in the next year, have had numerous injuries- several that required surgery and have absolutely impacted my physical abilities, etc. Ultimately, people change as does their enthusiasm for participating in different activities. Fwiw, I sure don't post like I used to... it is what it is.
Hmmm I see your point as I have a busy life but still I’m sure those things will happen to all of us at some point as well… but I’m trying to keep the flame burning know what I mean. I wish my threads interested you and more of the likes… but I’ll admit I don’t like a lot of the stick in pot posts or other random stuff either

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm I see your point as I have a busy life but still I’m sure those things will happen to all of us at some point as well… but I’m trying to keep the flame burning know what I mean. I wish my threads interested you and more of the likes… but I’ll admit I don’t like a lot of the stick in pot posts or other random stuff either
Social media just doesn't have, for me, the draw to participate like it did 4-5 years ago. In the beginning, I'd read every single new thread here, but not even close now. If a thread title catches my eye (maybe 10%), I'll open it and give it a quick scan. If I've got the time and energy, I might even add to the thread, but most of the time I don't. I couldn't even tell you the last time I posted on FB.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Truthfully, most of the more experienced members here from to when I joined rarely post now, and when they do, it's likely to just update a progression thread they started a while ago.
It's very evident, just since I joined, that many of the more experienced members post less and less. I understand. I am grateful for those of you that still take the time to share your knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The cycle of life. The intersection of the concentric circles gets smaller.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so does anybody have any information on why Adair Martin has not been posting?
It's just over 5 months since he last signed in.

I was told by someone else that spoke to him about it (and will remain nameless), that Adair finally had enough of the trolls that seemed to follow him from post to post to contradict everything he said or just generally harrass him.

It's an unfortunate loss for the forum here because he truly has a passion for bonsai, pines and teaching others. I know I have learned a lot from him and I feel his absence

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As for the original question in the first post, yes scots and JWP are treated pretty much the same way. I have 2 scots and 3 JWP and I treat them all the same.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was told by someone else that spoke to him about it (and will remain nameless), that Adair finally had enough of the trolls that seemed to follow him from post to post to contradict everything he said or just generally harrass him.

It's an unfortunate loss for the forum here because he truly has a passion for bonsai, pines and teaching others. I know I have learned a lot from him and I feel his absence
Yup I figured as much really.
Sad.
I've visited his collection and wish I had more time then to really go through each tree.
He headed up and demonstrated at the one and only workshop I've ever been to. Very pleasant fellow.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I spoke to him at the 2022 winter silhouette show in Kannapolis. From my understanding it was a combination of all the things mentioned above. Mainly it was all getting repetitive and he just got bored with it. Super nice and very knowledgable guy.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He was very engaging at the 2022 Winter Silhouette Show. At the 2023 show it seemed he kinda just blew through, but it might have been me.

Top Bottom