Schefflera arboricola grafting?

Hailstorm7

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, all. Newbie here. Is it possible to cut and regraft a branch on a Schefflera arboricola. Please see the attached pictures of the tree in its current state and the proposed change (should grafting be possible). Technically, the picture is of the back of the tree. But that branch on the left (in photo) is long and really doesn't have much going on. My thought was, should grafting again be possible, to cut it off at the trunk, place it in water for a few weeks until roots start to develop, then replant it against the existing trunk and graft the trunk's surface (from the branch cut down) to what is the existing underside of the branch up to just past the spike on the branch (which would then hopefully become a new trunk feature - see attached drawing; on photo, graft surfaces in yellow and general graft area in red). My thought was that this would shorten the overall length of the branch, allowing it to be reshaped to better build the canopy shape (see attached drawing with positioning options), balance the tree a bit better, and thicken the trunk.

Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions of how to encourage back-budding on that branch that would help fill that empty length with a possibly safer alternative, I'm all ears. Honestly, I'm not dissatisfied with the tree in its current shape aside from how bare that branch is. Perhaps a heavy trim on top (clearing out top third, for instance) to allow light access to lower branches? Any thoughts and (well-intended) comments about the shape of the tree as a whole are welcome. It's new to me, nursery-purchased last fall, and has had no significant pruning beyond a few large-leave bunches. Kept inside year-round thus far beneath grow light set for about twelve hours per day. Watered daily as it drains very quickly and we have very dry air here in Montana. (Perhaps water less?) Leaves are spritzed multiple times a day to encourage humidity. Thanks in advance for your kind feedback and suggestions.

Attachments

• Schafflera graft pic.png
    Schafflera graft pic.png
    655.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20240114_183328332.jpg
    PXL_20240114_183328332.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Top Bottom