Satsuki Bonsai-En Still Operating?

ZchSprg

Seed
Reaction score
Is anyone aware if David Kruetz (Satsuki Bonsai-En) is still in operation? I'd like to purchase some azaleas and was told that he was great to get them from but I haven't seen much online about him other than his site.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is anyone aware if David Kruetz (Satsuki Bonsai-En) is still in operation? I'd like to purchase some azaleas and was told that he was great to get them from but I haven't seen much online about him other than his site.
He is still in operation, but he is notoriously difficult to get a hold of. He's getting older and I think he is downsizing his operation...at least that is my read on things. I know that he'll be at the Bonsai Central convention in May in case you are able to make it down for that (If not, PM me and I can pass along a note with your contact info to him or something).

Seany

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried a while back and didn't get an answer either.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I tried getting ahold of him once, about 15 years ago and recall getting an eventual, vague reply. Didn’t buy from him, but the folks who deal with him locally seem to be favorable. Maybe he’s old-school, in-person.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's been at the Potomac Bonsai Association show and sale for years off and on. I bought a very nice satsuki from him about ten years ago. Reasonably priced and pretty knowledgeable. He is old school. Not much for online communications. In person, no problem.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I have done business with him years ago and it was all good but after what I was told first hand about how he handled the folks that went on his last trip to Japan...He won't be getting any more of my money.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve been emailing him back and forth recently. He seems old school but is very responsive.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i tried him years ago. no response though the website, no response through email, no response to a phone message...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still operating last fall. Have purchased and email chatted with Dave 3-4 times this past year about general satsuki stuff. He did mention selling down his stock and some trees. All conversations were initiated by purchases. One of my friends says he just calls him.

@Bonsai Nut try emailing Dave at satsukibonsai@juno.com

cheers
DSD sends

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I purchased two satsuki azaleas from him in June of '23. This was in person at the Lone Star Bonsai Federation in Ft. Worth though. I know he will be vending at the Houston convention this year and I believe the St Louis show. IMO very reasonable prices and healthy trees.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 11.30.29 AM.png1AFDBCEF-905D-4E58-988A-40967B489AB2_1_105_c.jpeg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Darren Wong of Soh-Ju-En in Vallejo, CA sells imported Satsuki. You can purchase trees on his website and they ship within the U.S. Very nice material.

SteveS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Bob Hunter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Check with Bob @Kifu bonsai just came back from Japan should stock in about a month plus he has some in trees now.

Top Bottom