Ryceman3's 6yr JBP Contest Entry

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soooo, I just have to say... Congrats!!! Your tree was hands down the best in the contest. Truthfully, If the contest allowed for multiple submissions from one individual, you would have swept the podium. Truly fantastic work here.
Agreed. Pretty dam amazing what your accomplishing down there @Ryceman3

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soooo, I just have to say... Congrats!!! Your tree was hands down the best in the contest. Truthfully, If the contest allowed for multiple submissions from one individual, you would have swept the podium. Truly fantastic work here.
Yep. Hands down is correct. Nice job Ryceman. You not only achieved the best growth but managed to build nice branch structure.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks everyone for the congratulations! It is quite unbelievable to think that the competition has come to a close. If someone had said to me when I sowed the seeds in July of 2018 I would win this thing, I would have told them they were crazy! It has been quite a ride and I am satisfied with the trees I developed in the time frame and (as I said in the other thread) very humbled by the results and that Walter judges my tree to be the winner. I will say that I though his critique was incredibly detailed and insightful, and I agree with what he put forward. Very impressive that he was able to pull all that from one photograph!
To officially round out the thread, below is a pic of the tree I submitted, as well as another I was considering too. I'll post a few more of the other trees as I get around to photographing them, and I'll continue to update this tree as future developments take place.
Many thanks...
🙏🍺
6yrJBP-Final IG_01.jpg
6yrJBP-Final IG_02.jpg

Reaction score
Congrats!

Today is my first day on the forum and it just happens to be on the day a 6 year contest ends... and to see these trees.. wow so inspiring!

I hope they do the contest or something similar again. Can't wait to plant some JBP seeds this spring!

Slice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
If the question of the contest was 'is it really achievable to create shohin JBP in 6 years?'

Your entries proved it is possible (within 5.5 months)

and in my humble opinion your trees surpassed even the originals from the BT article

Congrats on the win!

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I wasn't on the forum when the contest started, and I just started some JBPs from seed one year ago. Reading through your entire thread yesterday and today has been a valuable education!
Thanks so much for your detailed documentation, and CONGRATS!

Dombonsai

Seed
Reaction score
How could I adapt this technique to work for a formal upright? thanks

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How could I adapt this technique to work for a formal upright? thanks
I'm not sure, you would need to look at things in this thread that might be relevant and discard the rest...?
Obviously no need to bend trunks initially. Pines do a very good job of growing straight on their own which is what you'll be looking for in a formal upright.
As for stem cutting etc ... I would perform this to get maximum branching down low. Whether you use that in the final design is debatable but would provide an abundance of sacrifice options near the base to help with taper which is a big component of a formal styled tree. It also helps with the nebari (IMO) which is also important in any pine bonsai really.
It's not often you see a formal upright shohin sized pine (at least where I am) and I've never attempted one. It feels like a style for a bigger tree so out of the scope of the competition really. I think the techniques to balance energy and encourage growth etc are still relevant but perhaps not exactly "as read" in this thread. You might need to tweak timing etc...
Would I ground grow a few to see what happens ...? Yep.

Dombonsai

Seed
Reaction score
I'm not sure, you would need to look at things in this thread that might be relevant and discard the rest...?
Obviously no need to bend trunks initially. Pines do a very good job of growing straight on their own which is what you'll be looking for in a formal upright.
As for stem cutting etc ... I would perform this to get maximum branching down low. Whether you use that in the final design is debatable but would provide an abundance of sacrifice options near the base to help with taper which is a big component of a formal styled tree. It also helps with the nebari (IMO) which is also important in any pine bonsai really.
It's not often you see a formal upright shohin sized pine (at least where I am) and I've never attempted one. It feels like a style for a bigger tree so out of the scope of the competition really. I think the techniques to balance energy and encourage growth etc are still relevant but perhaps not exactly "as read" in this thread. You might need to tweak timing etc...
Would I ground grow a few to see what happens ...? Yep.
Thank you, sounds a bit difficult for me.

ThePecha7

Seedling
Reaction score
Excellent thread Ryceman! I’m just starting my pine growing journey so this was all very inspirational and encouraging. Just followed you on Instagram too so will be nosing about there in about 10 seconds!

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Excellent thread Ryceman! I’m just starting my pine growing journey so this was all very inspirational and encouraging. Just followed you on Instagram too so will be nosing about there in about 10 seconds!
Thanks… and thanks for the follow… pines are a lot of fun, enjoy the ride!
🍺

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s autumn here and with that comes time to work on pines. Today I got out my Wazakura bonsai scissors for their first outing to get back into my “6 year from seed” pines… seemed fitting and they were fantastic!
Here‘s how things turned out for this tree, starting to hit its stride I think, and felt good to be using my prize to keep progressing these OG pines.
🍺

JBP-J IG_01.jpeg
JBP-J IG_02.jpeg

Top Bottom