Root grafting existing roots

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of or have experience in approach/thread grafting live roots from the same tree? I started this with an arakawa last spring but haven’t repotted it yet to see if it was successful but I followed up with same technique this year with another tree (shishigashira). Really hoping this will work, should speed up grafting roots without the use of acquiring or propagating seedlings.

When I found this nursery tree this is what the roots and nebari looked like. That root wrapped around the trunk was easily removed and gave a natural and very nice flare, however, it lacked useable roots underneath the soil surface in one location.

Yes, that root is about as ugly as any seen, even its mother wouldn’t love it.

3CA44A0A-CD94-46B8-84A3-D67FBBAA1A60.jpeg

After removing the very unsightly root

F37BD2FC-4233-4753-BBF8-9A87368579E0.jpeg

After two years from first potting and root work.

37FADD12-CE0B-45A6-BF00-AA863BE461DF.jpeg

Took an extra root from opposite side, cut a slot then scraped the outside of the existing root and tacked it in.

4CE2A468-6963-4A25-980A-52161BE17C4F.jpeg

1907F82E-B530-455D-98FD-984925C88DAC.jpeg

Rinse and repeat

ED92C8B5-8A9B-47F4-B1EB-14F3A6EACE3E.jpeg

Fingers crossed this works. Will report back after I check the original arakawa grafting.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Yes, approach grafting roots works just as well as it does for branches. Often the grooves you cut for the graft will form new roots from the trunk itself - like layering.
Roots can even be grafted as scion grafts rather than approach grafts. Takes a little more skill just as grafting above but still works.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anyone heard of or have experience in approach/thread grafting live roots from the same tree? I started this with an arakawa last spring but haven’t repotted it yet to see if it was successful but I followed up with same technique this year with another tree (shishigashira). Really hoping this will work, should speed up grafting roots without the use of acquiring or propagating seedlings.

When I found this nursery tree this is what the roots and nebari looked like. That root wrapped around the trunk was easily removed and gave a natural and very nice flare, however, it lacked useable roots underneath the soil surface in one location.

Yes, that root is about as ugly as any seen, even its mother wouldn’t love it.

View attachment 473296

After removing the very unsightly root

View attachment 473297

After two years from first potting and root work.

View attachment 473299

Took an extra root from opposite side, cut a slot then scraped the outside of the existing root and tacked it in.

View attachment 473300

View attachment 473301

Rinse and repeat

View attachment 473303

Fingers crossed this works. Will report back after I check the original arakawa grafting.
Nicely documented through the photos.
And, yes, that was an ugly root situation. You tackled it head on. Well done. Mighty fine!

Top Bottom