Root Advice

CrannEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I look forward to connecting with you all.
I recently acquired a nicely aged, but quite neglected pomegranate. After much care I am starting to see new buds. However, the roots are in an awful state. They have been left to intertwine and meld into each other, leaving a hollow under what i see as the front of the tree. I would love to hear your suggestions and advice on what I could do with this. Thanks. IMG_20220902_141620.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_141441.jpg
    IMG_20220902_141441.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 21

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Layer it in the spring. Build up a "container" w/ mesh screen and fill it w/ soil a little above where you clear the bark/cambium. Water in the new "container".

CrannEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Layer it in the spring. Build up a "container" w/ mesh screen and fill it w/ soil a little above where you clear the bark/cambium. Water in the new "container".
You mean air-layer it and start a new root system?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Do you know if pomegranate air layer well?
If they do that is a good option cause Yikes those roots are crazy

Last edited:

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know how they layer, but I've taken cuttings of one and it rooted so that's the basis for my suggestion.

CrannEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah. I've definitely got a project on my hands. I'll look into layering pomegranate. Hopefully it'll be a viable option. Thanks.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah. I've definitely got a project on my hands. I'll look into layering pomegranate. Hopefully it'll be a viable option. Thanks.

Definitely research it first for sure

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You mean air-layer it and start a new root system?
When it happens low on the trunk in raised soil we call it ground layer but essentially it is air layer in the soil.
Pomegranate grow easily from cuttings so should layer easily too.
Ground layer will shorten the lower trunk a little but that's probably better than those roots.

Another option is to remove the upper roots but I cannot see that helping much as the other roots I can see are not much better so I'd also go with a layer to get new roots just above these.

CrannEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider a root over rock approach?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would you consider a root over rock approach?
You would not be able to get those big roots to shape to the rock property to make it a convincing picture. There would be gaps that wouldn't look right. It would look like a tree was strapped to a rock rather than a tree that grew around a rock.

CrannEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You would not be able to get those big roots to shape to the rock property to make it a convincing picture. There would be gaps that wouldn't look right. It would look like a tree was strapped to a rock rather than a tree that grew around a rock.
I get ya. Thanks for your input.

Top Bottom