Rocks for planting

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
I am looking for some interesting rocks to plant some small trees into the crevices. I wonder if anyone knows of a source to purchase these types of rocks. I am talking at least 10" tall.

I haven't been able to find anything dramatic in the woods around my area.

Thank you!

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your profile say VA, look for nearby rock shops towards the Appalachians. I was just down in Cave City, KY and stopped at a gem and rock shop, took home 3 smaller ones for future root over rocks but they had plenty of larger slabs. My 3 totaled like $15 too so not crazy expensive!

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
Your profile say VA, look for nearby rock shops towards the Appalachians. I was just down in Cave City, KY and stopped at a gem and rock shop, took home 3 smaller ones for future root over rocks but they had plenty of larger slabs. My 3 totaled like $15 too so not crazy expensive!
Thank you for the tip, that is a great idea. I am in Leesburg, VA (suburbs of DC). Thank you again!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the tip, that is a great idea. I am in Leesburg, VA (suburbs of DC). Thank you again!
In Leesburg I would be looking to the west towards places like Middleburg and the Monts--Bluemont, Philomont. I'd look around at stone yards out that way, or at local nurseries, sometimes you can find a rock or two in a roadside ditch--but don't go plucking them off of the stacked stone walls out there.

There are slate quarries further south and west past Charlottesville.

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
In Leesburg I would be looking to the west towards places like Middleburg and the Monts--Bluemont, Philomont. I'd look around at stone yards out that way, or at local nurseries, sometimes you can find a rock or two in a roadside ditch--but don't go plucking them off of the stacked stone walls out there.

There are slate quarries further south and west past Charlottesville.
Thank you! I will do that...and I can always stop for a glass of wine around the wineries!!! Great idea!

Top Bottom