Retirement Pine

Many people think the California juniper only grows along the Mojave Desert area. The coast range of mountains also has the superb conditions for the growing of these junipers. I managed to take these pictures out the window at 80 MPH while my wife steered the car.

Hey at least I'm not on my cell phone!

That lone juniper is about the size of a VW bus. The other photo shows the junipers near the top o the hill and down the slopes. Oaks are on the bottom.

Attachments

• DSC_00670004.JPG
    DSC_00670004.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_00680005.JPG
    DSC_00680005.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
The wind in the afternoon whipped up and was blowing about 45 MPH. The ocean was really churned up and the waves were about 22 feet or more. Seagulls were following the rim of the cliff I shot these photos from and were passing before me about three to four feet from camera. They couldn't do anything about it since turning 10 degrees in either direction would be suicide in that wind. Just floating along the rim carried by the upsurge of air off the cliff.

I could reach out and touch them.

One more shot of the wild mustard in full bloom along the beautiful Coast Range of California.

Attachments

• DSC_00490002.JPG
    DSC_00490002.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_00320001.JPG
    DSC_00320001.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_00610003.JPG
    DSC_00610003.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 88
Beautiful photos, looks like you had a really great day.

Nice juni photo, cool how everything else is moving around it, and you captured a clear shot.

I have a bunch of those stamps, my grandfather collects plate blocks, and used to buy them for the grands as well. Probably have every commemorative PB from the every-late 80s. Strange to see them stuck all over that package; guess they're still worth face-value!

Nice juni photo, cool how everything else is moving around it, and you captured a clear shot.

I have a bunch of those stamps, my grandfather collects plate blocks, and used to buy them for the grands as well. Probably have every commemorative PB from the every-late 80s. Strange to see them stuck all over that package; guess they're still worth face-value!

Good as money. Of course a 5 cent stamp from the seventies is worth about 1.5 cents face value;)

Very nice tree. Must have been a few pretty pennies.
Gratz to your wife on here retirement and to you on your new tree.

Very nice tree. Must have been a few pretty pennies.
Gratz to your wife on here retirement and to you on your new tree.
Thanks, the date on your post is April 11 2013, in four more months she would be diagnosed with breast cancer and lost a breast on Oct 2. Two years later it would metastasize to her liver and brain. Doing OK, but the chemo pill is pretty bad stuff. Great retirement ehhh....

Picture taken Labor Day at the Mexican eating joint.

IMG_1385.jpg

Retirement is for the weak!!! I hope to join their ranks in a few years....
At least you are still having fun, which is more than some folks who have it easy can say.:D

Too much sour mix in the margaritas?:D:D
Here's to you and keep on keepin' on!!:cool:

Tree update by chance........?;)

Thanks, the date on your post is April 11 2013, in four more months she would be diagnosed with breast cancer and lost a breast on Oct 2. Two years later it would metastasize to her liver and brain. Doing OK, but the chemo pill is pretty bad stuff. Great retirement ehhh....

Picture taken Labor Day at the Mexican eating joint.

View attachment 116645

I'm sorry for your troubles smoke. My prayers go out for you.

It's a reminder to us to not wait for retirement to enjoy life a bit.

I was wondering how she and you were doing. What a great thread!
Do you still have the retirement tree?

Branches in red have been removed and are the jins on the bottom third of the trunk. The branch circled in blue is the first right branch and the branch circled in green is the second lowest left branch. The rest of the tree has been built from the upper third circled in orange. Branches up to 1/2 inch have been bent very easily.

colored.jpg

Well done! Fantastic transformation... Thanks for posting the diagram too!

Back
Top Bottom