Removing a sacrifice on JBP in conjunction with root work?

When to remove sacrifice and do root work?

• Total voters
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I suspect you are referring to leaving a peg in the middle, when cutting off a large branch or trunk section. The purpose being to aid in healing larger scars and preventing them from desiccating too quickly while establishing blushing some callus on the perimeter. I would combine that approach with a stepped reduction when you decide to remove the larger sacrifice.
For best timing I prefer to remove large sacrifice side branches and apical leaders after the spring candles after extended and the needles are just standing away from the candle. This takes advantage of the growth spurt at the beginning of the growing season in multi flush pines.
First, cut off the larger sacrifice leaving a two inch stub.
Second return in 2 to 3 months and carve down to the level for healing but leave the centre as a peg comprising approximately 1/3 of the area in the centre of the scar. ( I use cut paste on the perimeter and peg)
Third after the perimeter is healing well ( say 1 or two years later than complete the removal of the peg. ( I renew the cut paste at this point as well )
Hope the thought help.
Definitely helps. When you say “combine that approach with a stepped reduction when you decide to remove the larger sacrifice” does the stepped reduction refer to leaving a stub and then a peg? Or should I incrementally cut back the growth on the sacrifice as well?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look at this image from Jonas, Ryan Neil also do the same thing when removing big branches. Exactly how Frank explained above. The remainder of the peg would be removed next, callous re-wounded and pasted again. You need to remove the collar when doing this, because it will continue to swell. This is why the cut in the tree below looks slightly concave in relationship with the peg.

1663951629892.png

Mirai

Pine JinA.JPG

Pine Jin.JPGPine Jin1.JPG

Pine Jin2.JPGPine Jin3.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definitely helps. When you say “combine that approach with a stepped reduction when you decide to remove the larger sacrifice” does the stepped reduction refer to leaving a stub and then a peg? Or should I incrementally cut back the growth on the sacrifice as well?
I was referring to the three distinct steps as a stepped process. the first step to create the stub. Second step later on creating the peg and perimeter.
Third step the concave finish form. A fourth step is to re excite the edge once a year to "speed up" the healing process.

Top Bottom