Red vs Green maple species and sunburn

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In have read some articles about what colour maple leaves are more subjectable to leaf burn.
Red or green, could not find clear answers though.
Contradictable explanations I found at least.

Taking in account that watering and soil is taken care of and weather conditions are the same for both colours.

Observing my own trees I find that the red coloured leaves seem to be scorching more and sooner than the green ones. If I let it come down to that.

Dark colours absorb more heat would be my common sense, but I could not conclude that as the answer from articles.

What is your experience or proven explanation?

Typically reddish cultivars tend to burn more thean green. Yet there are a number of exceptions.

For example : A.P. Butterfly and other variegated maples

Cheers
DSD sends

Oké than my guts were right for a bit at least.

So the foliar resiliance of different red and green species is different as well?

So the foliar resiliance of different red and green species is different as well?

Pretty much. But within certain bounds. The hardiness traits of cultivar different cultivars does have a bit of a bleed over into the bonsai work side.

But in general maples respond to bonsai techniques as a family. Some members are similar, some aren’t. Key is to learn how to get them robust and hardy before working on them.

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom