RED CHOJUBAI [Chaenomeles japonica]

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks great!

Hope you don't mind I ask a question...

I potted mine in a larger pot last fall and its growing vigorously, but most of the growth is on a handful of random branches, kinda like how vine-like trees grow (I'm thinking of bougainvillea). I pruned those longer shoots and didn't get much response - the same shoots grew back vigorously, but only 1 new shoot (no added ramification). The shoots that leafed out but didn't grow weren't stimulated by pruning. When I pruned, the shoots were probably 10+ nodes long, I cut back to 2-3 nodes (directional pruning), and the stems were no longer soft and green but more of a brown color, so semi-hardwood. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You were directed to some excellent articles. There is also and great and informative article by Owen Reich in one of the International Bonsai publications.

My chojubai puts out a small percentage of active growing tips in the spring. This is consistent with Hagedorn's experience. Younger material may produce a higher percentage? After the new growth lignifies, I prune back to about two or three nodes unless I need the length in a specific area. Afterwards you should see again a second growth spurt which again only accounts for a percentage of the entire canopy and not on every tip. I leave them to grow freely until early fall when I prune back again to two or three nodes.

Be mindful that these trees need to be fertilized regularly. They don't like to be too wet or overly dry but can and should be left to dry out somewhat before they get watered again. Full sun placement but give them a bit more protection in the hottest moths of the year. Leaves will start to yellow and fall off typically around august and later flush out again when weather cools off. Quirky trees that love to go by the beat of their own drum!

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a great discussion! I am just beginning to work with flowering quince. My "trees" are not the true chojubai variety, but some large-growing C. speciosa collected from an old garden. Is it true that the same bonsai techniques work on this species?

They were bare-rooted out of the garden in February, and are now recovering in a large nursery pot. Surprisingly, 100% survived being separated from a clump and having their roots pruned. They are all healthy and growing. When would be the best time to move them into training pots in my hot climate? Thanks!

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You were directed to some excellent articles. There is also and great and informative article by Owen Reich in one of the International Bonsai publications.

My chojubai puts out a small percentage of active growing tips in the spring. This is consistent with Hagedorn's experience. Younger material may produce a higher percentage? After the new growth lignifies, I prune back to about two or three nodes unless I need the length in a specific area. Afterwards you should see again a second growth spurt which again only accounts for a percentage of the entire canopy and not on every tip. I leave them to grow freely until early fall when I prune back again to two or three nodes.

Be mindful that these trees need to be fertilized regularly. They don't like to be too wet or overly dry but can and should be left to dry out somewhat before they get watered again. Full sun placement but give them a bit more protection in the hottest moths of the year. Leaves will start to yellow and fall off typically around august and later flush out again when weather cools off. Quirky trees that love to go by the beat of their own drum!
Thanks! Similar to what I've noticed including the leaf drop on hot days. Mine isn't comparably advanced compared to yours, but its a lot thicker than the chojubai you typically see for starter plants. Maybe a 3-inch nebari and .75 to 1 inch trunk. I do fertilize pretty heavily - I've been using organic monthly (Jobes) and I do a moderate dose of synthetic liquid (Dyna Gro Foliage Pro) 2x/week. I just did a second pruning for the year, so I'll see if I get any ramification or if it continues to give me 1 at each cut.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks! Similar to what I've noticed including the leaf drop on hot days. Mine isn't comparably advanced compared to yours, but its a lot thicker than the chojubai you typically see for starter plants. Maybe a 3-inch nebari and .75 to 1 inch trunk. I do fertilize pretty heavily - I've been using organic monthly (Jobes) and I do a moderate dose of synthetic liquid (Dyna Gro Foliage Pro) 2x/week. I just did a second pruning for the year, so I'll see if I get any ramification or if it continues to give me 1 at each cut.

Great Jon, looks like you're already doing all the right things. I don't think chojubai reacts in the same way as many other deciduous species that typically divide when cut back, whether they have opposite leaves or alternating. I also get one shoot and not two and it's consistent with others I have seen. I think the point of cutting back in this case is so that you don't end up with branches that are too long or straight more so that expecting the tree to divide at the cut sites. But little by little they end up building an intensely ramified canopy as you have seen.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great Jon, looks like you're already doing all the right things. I don't think chojubai reacts in the same way as many other deciduous species that typically divide when cut back, whether they have opposite leaves or alternating. I also get one shoot and not two and it's consistent with others I have seen. I think the point of cutting back in this case is so that you don't end up with branches that are too long or straight more so that expecting the tree to divide at the cut sites. But little by little they end up building an intensely ramified canopy as you have seen.
Thanks! I'll just keep at it. I figured since the branches were probably 10-nodes long and starting to harden off, it was a good time to prune, but when I got only 1 branch, I wondered if pruning less frequently would build more vigor, if the auxin would lose it's suppression over lateral buds, and fall pruning would allow for reallocation of cytokinin to internal buds. But then I worry about less vigorous growth dying off due to lack of light etc. My tree is no where near refinement, so letting it grow out more might be fine to do, but with a more refined tree, I suppose that could lead to coarser growth.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll just keep at it. I figured since the branches were probably 10-nodes long and starting to harden off, it was a good time to prune, but when I got only 1 branch, I wondered if pruning less frequently would build more vigor, if the auxin would lose it's suppression over lateral buds, and fall pruning would allow for reallocation of cytokinin to internal buds. But then I worry about less vigorous growth dying off due to lack of light etc. My tree is no where near refinement, so letting it grow out more might be fine to do, but with a more refined tree, I suppose that could lead to coarser growth.

Jon, I think this all comes down to genetics. It's not programmed to split or at least not as much as we would like. Below is a pic I took today. Although it may look like two shoots are sprouting from the cut site, in reality there is only one actively extending shoot while the smaller fresh growth is just a whorl of new leaves that will not extend but may produce flowers in the future.

tempImagekaZYY9.png

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Spectacular! I have to say this might be my favorite tree of yours, and that is a high bar! Can’t wait to see it in full bloom.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Bonsai U repot of JF Quince…

cheers
DSD sends
Bjorn recently sold that tree 😮

6A97A754-083D-45BD-90EA-C5602A0C4911.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, International Bonsai just published a really good article on Quince by Owen Reich in their March/April 2021 issue.

Also IB issues 2007 No. 1 and 2014 No. 1 have articles on Quince. These back issues can be purchased for $7 a pop. Stocking stuffers anyone??

One can order these online at www.internationalbonsai.com/page/497153594

Cheers
DSD sends

It's probably worth noting the editor's note at the bottom of the article, in case you have older issues.

This article appeared in the 2014/NO. 1 issue of International BONSAI and is reprinted because of the interest and popularity of Chojubai Flowering Quince.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5
Sergio, wondering about this tree of yours, how’s that hot spring treating it?
Ben

Hi Ben. The tree is doing sort of ok but not great. Problems started in the spring of '22. The tree was not producing strong extensions as they should and color was off. Still does. I contacted Michael Hagedorn and suggested a ZeroTol bath to combat any possible nematodes and transplant it into a wooden box with lots of pumice around the existing rootball. Unfortunately nothing has really worked. I am trying other things and see if I can get it to turn around. This one has, and continues to be, a puzzle for me. Moreover, I have cuttings that are all growing well in the same area.

Will keep at it and see.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@MACH5 Sergio how's the chojubai doing? Did it start recovering?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I am curious how this tree is doing as well. As the new owner of a chojubai I am really pulling for you! Some of the information I’ve found has me a bit intimidated by this tree.

Top Bottom