Recent Aquisitions

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
My recent acquisitions. Taxus is not in soil yet. Just collected yesterday, but watered the roots, and its been cold and grey here.
Junipers: help with the ID?
I think procumbens. Chopped back last spring by home owner, back budded nicely. He told me he transplanted them to their collected location about 10 years ago, so they were surprisingly easy to come out. Potted within the hour with a healthy root ball, into 100% pumice, without disturbing the core roots too much. snug fit into their pots. Black bagged and sitting in the shade with 1-2 hours of late afternoon sun. Foliage has been misted and covered immediately after every other day (if its dry). soil was watered on day 1, but not since (10 days ago).
Taxus: Collected yesterday.
Lots of feeder roots all around the base. Foliage chopped back last week by home owner who planned to toss it in the chipper. He said I could take it. Dug out by landscapers with mini excavator. They knew i wanted it, so they were was careful as a mini excavator can be. I put a clean cut on all the structural roots, as they were pretty mangled. watered and bagged the ball, and its going into a pot in two days with 100% pumice, and baked clay pellets. Currently 40 degrees F, and sitting in the shade. Fingers crossed, wish me luck

Attachments

• IMG_5352.JPG
    IMG_5352.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5353.JPG
    IMG_5353.JPG
    401.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5416.JPG
    IMG_5416.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5417.JPG
    IMG_5417.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5419.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5420.JPG
    IMG_5420.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8103.JPG
    IMG_8103.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 49

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Still green growth at the apex, but its struggling. If I had to do over, I'd have bagged the top also to keep humidity up.
It pushed new buds from its energy reserves through summer, then 80% of those browned.
I haven't given up hope yet, as it seems to be holding onto some green, but come spring, I'll know for sure.
I'll keep it well protected to be sure.
The junipers are both super healthy. Lots of deadwood to clean up and carve this winter.

Top Bottom