My Most Recent Bonsai-related Purchase

John7429

Sapling
Reaction score
As far as Japanese tools, you could use this two sites... buy straight from Japan instead of through a middle man.

Several reasons to disagree with this... (yes, I'm biased)
- Warranty: what do you do if there is an issue? Yes, unlikely, but still something to consider. I had a friend recently spend $200 on a tool while visiting Japan. She got home and after a couple uses, the rivet fell apart. Nothing she can do now.
- Reputation: Most folks don't know John from Adam in manufacturing. Especially overseas. Buying from a reputable brand (or middleman) gives some sort of assurance in quality or value.
- Selection: distributors and importers have their role since the dawn of trading between people. There's a reason for that. Yes, the internet and technology is making the world a smaller place. However, there is value in a middleman working through what's available and offering other (usually further away) groups of people goods they feel would be of interest. Of course, yes, there is a price to pay for this service. But, a middleman often acts as that first filter of "is this something useful" in evaluating goods. What do you do if you buy something from overseas and you don't like it? You're probably stuck with it. Buy local, you can usual return or exchange with sellers.
- Sampling: you can feel the tool and decide if its what you're looking for when buying local. This is more important than most people consider.
- Support: the Gold Rush in CA gave birth to a huge range of products that provided support for those looking to strike rich. Tools, clothing, manufacturing, construction all boomed and many of those companies exist today. As with many hobbies, support your local brick and mortar businesses if you want to see them survive and support you when you need something. Tools may be a small portion of most bonsai businesses but every bit helps.

I can go on and on. My point is, think bigger picture. Not just saving a couple bucks.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Wrong thread😅

Last edited:

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Some purchases i got excited about. The big one is "flowering crab apple", it's as specific as the label is going to get, 2 small kei apples next to it and then 3 dwarf pomegranates that i have been looking for for some time. And yes i know...i will probably be dead before the small ones are something to look at :p

Attachments

• 20240302_150456.jpg
    20240302_150456.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240302_150451.jpg
    20240302_150451.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom