questions about possible diseases

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering if anyone knows what might be killing, or possible already killed, a very young trident maple I have. It started out strong earlier this year with lots of knew growth and healthy green leaves. Then some of them started turning brown beginning at the edges. Not crispy dried out brown, just dead looking. I pulled them off and new leaves came out fine looking but then they also died. Now all the leaves are basically gone and the new ones that are starting to grow look pretty haggard as well. It's planted in potting soil and gets full sun from about 10:30 to 5:00. I've sprayed a few times with fungicide that has bacillus subtilis as it's active ingredient.

I also have some coast oak seedlings that are getting this strange growth. You can see from the picture it looks kind of like white powdery mildew, but I'm not sure it is. It only happens to some branches and they grow fast thick and weird looking. If it's not harmful I'm like to keep then on to see what happens.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post photos of the plants in question please.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Browning on the margins of leaves usually indicates root problems, and more particularly, too much water. This is likely the case since it is planted in potting soil.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'd get it out of the full sun for more filtered light and cut down the watering.

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't figure out how to get my picture file size small enough to post.

Would it be worth transplanting into a more freely draining medium now?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can't figure out how to get my picture file size small enough to post.

Any photo management software ought to make that easy. Even M'soft Paint.

Would it be worth transplanting into a more freely draining medium now?

ONLY if you do no root work. Move to a larger pot.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like powdery mildew and too much water.

StarTurtle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was wondering if anyone knows what might be killing, or possible already killed, a very young trident maple I have. It started out strong earlier this year with lots of knew growth and healthy green leaves. Then some of them started turning brown beginning at the edges. Not crispy dried out brown, just dead looking. I pulled them off and new leaves came out fine looking but then they also died. Now all the leaves are basically gone and the new ones that are starting to grow look pretty haggard as well. It's planted in potting soil and gets full sun from about 10:30 to 5:00. I've sprayed a few times with fungicide that has bacillus subtilis as it's active ingredient.

I also have some coast oak seedlings that are getting this strange growth. You can see from the picture it looks kind of like white powdery mildew, but I'm not sure it is. It only happens to some branches and they grow fast thick and weird looking. If it's not harmful I'm like to keep then on to see what happens.

When you say potting soil what do you mean? If you are using regular every day potting soil from big box store that is your first problem, and I would look at a fungus problem in the root system. Move it to partial sun, back off the water, and amend the soil with pumice and/or small lava rock (just work it into the soil with a chop stick you have cant transplant at this time of year) so that you have a free flowing substrate.

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Uh oh, already transplanted it. It was in ordinary potting soil, and it did seem pretty wet for not watering it in a while. It looked like it was on it's way out anyway, see what happens. Thanks for the help

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It does look like powdery mildew. Before I saw the pics from your description I was going to ask if it looked like this issue. This looks like sunburn but it is not. I asked Michael Hagedorn about this and he told me this leaf problem may be due to hard water in california. Since then i've been treating the specific tree in my picture with the burn leaf look with RO water with added cal/mag/micronutrients. I've noticed new leaves coming in without brown edges but it's too soon to tell if this treatment has 100% worked. I should mention that i own 8 trident maples 7 of which are completely healthy with my tap water. This specific issue may only attack a weak tree. But in this case from the pics the poster posted I think it is indeed powdery mildew.

Attachments

• IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4443.jpg
    IMG_4443.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Top Bottom